nose bleed before seizure

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Chad1889

New
Reaction score
Hi
Rae got chills last night. at about 12:30. so i told her to take a warm shower. i sat in the bathroom incase she fell. she seemed fine and then she just stumbled and said she felt sick. her nose started to bleed and she went into a complex partial. i turned of the water and waited for it to stop. then i help her clean up the blood and helped her into bed. no other seizures. she slept instantly. she woke up fine in the morning. why did her nose bleed? this is the first one she has ever had.

I don't know about a connection with nosebleeds and seizures, but somebody else here might.

I know Rae took a nasal decongestant not too long ago, so maybe her sinuses are really dry from that? Sinus dryness can bring on nosebleeds. Or maybe it's related specifically to her congestion, which can also bring on nosebleeds.

Yeah I agree with you occb, the nosebleed could be from sinus dryness. It is crazy dry here in Winnipeg, my wife Jen is experiencing a similar thing.

she still stuffed. she stopped taking the sinus stuff after her grand mal. is it her brain?

I hear you on the dryness Chris -- Calgary's been so bad my skin's just flaking off. I look fantastic, let me tell you.

Chad -- just out of curiosity, has there been any other change in Rae's meds? Has there been an increase in dose, or a change in when she takes them, or anything?

Hey babe!
I don't even remember this happening! You could have told me. I guess that's why you ruined my amazing dream this morning. Hmmm. And yes. I just increased last night to 125mg of my lamictal. So I'm at 250 total. 125mg day 125mg night.

Also, how are you online?!? Your supposed to be working... Well I am too, but did you get home early? You don't even have a computer at work!

:lol:

Did the complex partial and nosebleed happen before or after you took the increased dose? I'm guessing after, since you went to sleep right away.

It's possible that lamotrigine can cause nosebleeds. If you have any more, or start developing other symptoms, or your cold seems to be getting worse, go see your doc.

Yeah I think i might. I know I took it before it happened. I take it at 9am and 9pm everyday. So I started to feel funny at about 11:30. but stayed online for a bit. then got chills. like i was super super cold. so he threw me in the shower and told me to warm up. after that its a blur. I remember waking up a few minutes after getting to bed asking why there was my hair was still wet. Cuz I usually blow dry it right away, or my curls will be frizzed out!

How are you feeling today? Anything unusual going on?

hmm... maybe the increased lamotrigine has something to do with it. and the dryness doesn't help either.

occb - so Calgary has been dry too... yeah it's bad for the skin, mine is awful right now.

Wow, I

wish I had the problem of my sinuses drying out from Lamictal. (Not to be flippant, but I have chronic sinus infections.) But I'm not on as high of a dose as you, either.

I think that the Lamictal contributed, but you'd really have to check the side effects. But the increased dosage DID affect you, I'm sure. Made you unbalanced because you were already tired. Combine that with the Vicks you took the other night, I think your body just reacted badly.

Just out of curiosity, you don't have a sinus infection, do you? No nasty stuff coming out? Any pressure up around the top of your nose, and right up above there? You may want to consider talking to the doctor........

I had a bad nosebleed the other day, which i've never had before. I'd been having a really bad day - headaches, feeling generally "strange" all day and i'd had a few partials.

I was sitting at the computer and it came gushing. I don't know if there's a link, but i was on lamictal too, 350mg/day.

I just wanted to go to sleep, but unfortunately had to go to work. I just assumed it was because of the headache, even though i've never had a nosebleed like that before.

Also, it's weird that i was wondering about this, and then Chad posted this. I never even thought of a connection until i saw this post lol

Just use plain saline solution. Every night and every morning if you choose.My son has issues with dry nose. And durring the winter it bleeds a lot. A little vaseline. The saline will keep it from drying up at night. You can make it yourself or by some for about 1.50 at the store.A nice steamy shower or bath helps to. I took him to the Dr. for this.

As far as I can tell, I don't get nose bleeds before a seizure. But about a month or so before my seizures come out of remission my nose will start bleeding out of the blue. Usually someone points it out to me before I have any clue that its happening

I get blisters in my nose and it drives me crazy! I was driving once and my nose just started bleeding, and then I had a seizure.

Googling seizures & nosebleeds is exactly what brought me to this forum...
Last night I was home alone and I remember doing some stuff on my laptop, listening to music etc. Then I remember getting very tired 'suddenly' so I went to sleep. I wake up in the morning and I see all those bloody tissues around me + some dry blood under my nose. So I figured I must have had a nosebleed followed by a seizure or something like that because I don't remember having the nosebleed.. I didn't wake up all sore (which happens after grand mals) so I think that it must have been a complex partial but I'm not sure. I have had only 3 nosebleeds in my life, 2 of which were associated with a seizure. The first one happened after/during a massive grand mal last September. But I hit my head then and ended up with a concussion so that might have been the cause. However, this is one is a mystery to me!

Welcome to the forum!
Have a look around. I'm sure you will enjoy it!!!

Back
Top Bottom