now, the baby, too....

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rhea

New
Reaction score
We suspect (strongly) our 4 month old grandson is also having seizure activity. He has an appt. with my epileptoligist in mid Feb. Trouble is- his episodes are getting more frequent and more involved. My daughter would really have liked to have taken him to the ER last night, as it was enough to scare her. Decided to try to move appt up instead. How long is it safe for a baby to wait before treatment??? Is he in any danger from being untreated???? Will he maybe start losing developmentally or something?? They are becoming more frequent and more severe. Went from left leg involvement and staring and eye movement- to almost whole body involvement and longer episodes. I would try to research- but today I'm just not capable. Thanks for any advice or knowledge you may be able to help with,

Rhea

Because there are so many unknowns in epilepsy -- what might be true for one person doesn't hold for another -- I would say go to the ER, especially since the seizures seem to be escalating.

I agree with Nakamova, if the seizures seem to be increasing, then by all means take the baby to the ER. He could be in danger if they're lasting longer and are more severe without proper treatment before his appt. with the epileptologist. Have him checked out by a pediatric epileptologist.

Well, just got back from the ER. Baby was admitted and will have an MRI tonite and EEG tomorrow. I'm just relieved that it happened this way and not have to wait. I'm really exhausted- so I'll update more tomorrow after I go see him. Poor little man has no idea what is going on....

Oh Rhea, I am soo sorry. I'll keep the little guy and your family in my prayers. I'll pray for the docs too.

he is home now with a brand new bottle of keppra... his MRI is friday and EEG was normal even though he seized while they were doing it. He also need white blood cell and platelet count in a week. They were both high.

Hmm, maybe he had an infection -- that can bring on seizures, especially in infants. I hope the Keppra does the trick.

Have they checked for metabolic abnormalities ( electrolyte levels / sugar levels / genetic testing...) ? one of the commonest reversible causes for infantile seizures. did he have any birth trauma ( forceps birth / didn't cry immediately after being born / low birth weight..) ?i suppose the keppra is safe while you look for a cause.
Hope it's nothing major and life goes back to normal for you. high counts point toward infection but can also be elevated due to other causes.
Arvind

they checked calcium, sugar, etc. verrry thorough workup. He did have a very difficult delivery. No forceps- but 6 hours of active pushing and extreme cone-head. Glucose level saw also low, given sugar water.
His platelet level and WBC were high last week and will be checked this week again. The MRI is Monday, with anesthesia.
Haven't seen any difference yet with keppra, he's on lowest dose. Will see epileptoligist on Fri. this week. He's very good and seems to be on top of things. We're just rolling with the punches, and bouncing back for now. The parents are learning a lot and are very willing to listen to me now. Even the baby's pediatrician listens to me now. Wish so many of them didn't take the attitude they do and give caregivers more credit when they say "there is something not right"!!!!

Last edited:
what other things could cause high white count?? During my last physical, my white counts were also too high. Never checked after that. Could this mean something possible to look for? I strongly suspect a genetic link since my first child died from IMS, I have TLE, daughter has slow alpha waves on right side. I'm trying to learn all I can, without going overboard and scaring myself witless...

A high WBC usually just indicates the presence of an infection or virus, or sometimes an allergy. There are other causes, but those are the most common ones.

The results from the MRI were read yesterday. The DX is "partial agenesis of the corpus callosum" . I've been studying and learning. It's hereditary. I'm having a very bad day. I can't handle tis I don't think. Maybe later when I feel better in my mind i'll be back. I have to get my mind together to help my daughter and son in law. They are 30 miles away and I cant get there by the snow. She needs a hug really bad, and so do I. So, I have to learn and call her back she dont have computer right now. later.

Back
Top Bottom