Nureopsychologist

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

donnajane

New
Reaction score
Has anyone's child seen a Nureopsychologist? Our little man's speech pathologist today was amazed at how much his speech has regressed. We have been telling her he has intermittent issues with a lot of things one being speech but today she got to see it first hand and said she had never seen anything like it and has referred him to see a Nureopsychologist?
My husband took my son to the Speech appointment this morning and forgot to ask what a Nureopsychologist does so can anyone explain it to me.
Thanks
Donna

I would highly suggest going as it might tell you a lot about your sons seizures & how or if they are connected to these intermittent issues. I saw one a few years ago & even though she didn't really tell me much I didn't already know, she is the reason that finally after 50 years I now know that I have been having seizures that I'm not aware of having. That explains so much to me.
Neuropsychology studies the structure and function of the brain as they relate to specific psychological processes and behaviors. It is seen as a clinical and experimental field of psychology that aims to study, assess, understand and treat behaviors directly related to brain functioning. The term neuropsychology has been applied to lesion studies in humans and animals. It has also been applied to efforts to record electrical activity from individual cells (or groups of cells) in higher primates (including some studies of human patients).[1] It is scientific in its approach, making use of neuroscience, and shares an information processing view of the mind with cognitive psychology and cognitive science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuropsychology

We haven't seen one yet, but I think it's going to be the next step in our journey.

Jon's behavior issues are apparently neurological -- his overnight EEG last week didn't show any sub-clinical seizures, but lots of abnormal spikes in right frontal lobe (which haven't ever been there before).

We also saw a lot of regression in speech when Jon was around 5 years old.

How old is your little guy? Speech regression and seizures can sometimes be caused by Landau Kleffner -- which usually affects children in their early school years.

My little guy is almost 32 months old. He still has everyone confused. We saw another Nureologist who is suppose to be good with difficult cases on Monday, referred by his current Nureo and Paed, but I ended up leaving in tears as he said he had watched him footage and there was felt it was normal yet he didn't have a clue when I was referring to some of the footage which clearly shows him not being able to stand up which is what he was given Tegretol by his current Nureo as soon as he saw it, so I am assuming he watched around 2minutes of the footage we gave him and didn't bother with any more. He also refused to watch some new footage his current Nureo and paed said to show him as it was an obvious seizure a strange one but still obviously a seizure. He just couldn't seem to understand that my sons condition is intermittent, some times his speech is amazing other times you can not understand more than a word here and there. Sometimes he can't function other times he can. We worry that one day he may not "come" back to functioning normally and stay is this regressed state so we and his usual Nureo and Paed keep looking for why it is happening. Now his Speech Path has seen it first hand as well she is another person looking harder for answers. I am hoping his Nureo will refer him for another EEG when we see him next in Nov as he hasn't had one since they found his Brain lesion almost 13 months ago, he has had 2 MRI's in that time though. What I want to see is that in his last EEG he has slowing of his brain waves on his right side and I am curious to see what is happening now. I am unsure is a lot of what happens now is behavioural or caused by seizures so we are hoping the Nureopyscologist might help us.
Hope Jon is doing OK.
Donna

Jon Jon is going downhill fast. The seizures are pretty well controlled, but now everything else is falling apart. His aggression got so bad he had to be hospitalized for a week (just got home yesterday afternoon), and now his foot is twisting in so that he walks on the outside of his foot. The doctor said this is neurological. We're flying him back to NY in about a week as soon as he's stabilized.

Oh Karen, I'm so sorry to hear that Jon (and you of course) is having such a hard time right now. I hope they can get everything figured out in NY and get him back on track again. Hugs.

So sorry to hear about Jon not having a good time. I really hope for him and for your family they can help control his issues more. It must be so heart breaking for you as a mum.
Take care of yourself as well.
Donna

Good luck Karen. I'm sure everyone here will be thinking of you.

You are so lucky to be able to fly Jon to NY.

Hope you both get some answers soon.

:hugs:

Thanks everyone. He has some sort of neurological issue that is causing his muscles to atrophy (something like muscular dystrophy, I guess). He needs a wheelchair now. His aggression continues unabated, no meds are working. The only blessing is that he's mostly seizure free -- one little blip in hospital following his MRI (anesthesia).

Fly to NY on Friday.

Karen

So sorry to hear this.....will be keeping you in the prayers.

Karen my heart goes out to you and your family. I hope they can find some answers to help Jon.
Good Luck in NY.

Donna

Update: my mommy gut was right -- Jonathan is in pain. I kept mentioning to his neurologist and psychologist that I thought he was in pain, and they kept brushing me off. But he keeps getting this look on his face, and he's especially aggressive when anyone touches him. So, anyway, yesterday, we called the neurologist, and we tried giving him Ibuprofen, and that calmed him right down, and then in the afternoon when he started getting mean, he got another dose, and the rest of the day he was pretty much normal -- our sweet little boy back again. Virtually no aggression at all.

So, it appears that pain management may be more effective than all the buttload of anti-psychotics he's been getting. He can't take Ibuprofen all the time, of course, but we'll use it to get him through the 25 hour flight to NY tomorrow, and then let the docs on that side decide how to treat. Probably a lot of physical therapy.

Sorry to hijack this thread.

Holy Karen!! Good thing for your mommy gut!! I hope that helps the flight go easier tomorrow for both of you. Poor boy and poor you <3

Glad he's feeling better, and you are too. Hope all goes well in NY

Hi Karen,
How's Jon doing. Please know you are all in my thoughts and I just hope the Dr's are able to help Jon so that you can all have a lot more comfortable life. Sorry not sure if "comfortable" is really the right word but I hope you know what I mean.
Take Care.
Donna

Back
Top Bottom