[News] NY Times article about brain surgery

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Nakamova

Super Moderator / Thank You Queen
Reaction score
It is interesting but if you read the abstract of the study (which they link to) you'll see that all the patients had mesial temporal lobe epilepsy and it was part of the temporal lobe that was removed.

The thing about how news stories cover medical issues is that they are either fantastic for all or awful for all. In doing this the story refers to "epilepsy" but details like the cause/type of the subjects epilepsy seem to be overlooked unless you read the abstract. My seizures are thought to be caused by a lesion on the hypothalamus of my brain so no matter how good the statistics in this story I would still be reluctant to think it would be appropriate for my seizures. That's not to say it's not a great discovery for mesial temporal lobe epilepsy though.

Last edited:
Wow, if

this were true for all types of epilepsy, I'd actually be truly scared. Think about all the little kids who are diagnosed, and fail with the use of two meds within a short period of time. *scratching head* I think that perhaps some more thought needs to be given to the statement....

I agree, the devil is in the details. But it's still a significant study in terms of gauging when surgery might be appropriate (for those who fit the given parameters).

Back
Top Bottom