One of my favorites...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cinnabar

New
Reaction score
This lifts me up! For all of us growing and grown and dare to wear purple

Warning
By Jenny Joseph

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have cloths that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good exapmle for the children
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practise a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

Laurie :rose:

Laurie -

I love this! Purple is my favorite color and I have only over 1 year before I can become a Red Hatter.

Sweet. I like that attitude and try to use it the best I can in my life now. I tend to think, why shouldn't I live life how I want (providing it causes no harm to others off course) ? So if I wanna wear something that looks completely 'different' to what others portray as 'acceptable', then so be it.

When I worked at Curves, we would have mis-match days for different promotions. Of course I would wear stripes, patterns and polka dots altogether. It sure was fun. I may not dress crazy all the time, but I sure do like to embarras my kids (all in fun). I will skip in a mall with my kids and sometimes stop and dance to music that is playing. I enjoy seeing the oldest ones walking away laughing. It makes me happy to know that I can still make my kids laugh, no matter how old they are.

Love that Laurie - I plan to go out with "style" if I make it that long.

In the meantime, I don't mind embarrassing my girls once in awhile as well. They deserve it for all the gray hair they have given me. They just roll their eyes and laugh at me.

Speaking of Purple, my 23 yr old was home two weeks ago with purple and pink hair. What is a conservative, mid-western father supposed to do. :ponder:

BuckeyeFan - ask her where she got it done and that maybe you should do same. LOL!!

Never too Old to grow Young!

Love that Laurie - I plan to go out with "style" if I make it that long.

In the meantime, I don't mind embarrassing my girls once in awhile as well. They deserve it for all the gray hair they have given me. They just roll their eyes and laugh at me.

Speaking of Purple, my 23 yr old was home two weeks ago with purple and pink hair. What is a conservative, mid-western father supposed to do. :ponder:
I expect my kooky and quirky side will evolve!
When I'm in my 80's I plan to get a small and descrete tat...maybe on my ankle and probalby a rose! Hey Buckeye, worry if your girl comes home with a piercing. You'd probably jump out your chair! If I had kids that's what I'd do. Just my take for all of you who peirce. Ear lobes the exception!
Always - Laurie :rose:

haha, i read an article about them and my mum has deiced to join when she is old enough :) Im trying to convinc her to start practicing with wearing other colors then black...i just bought her green really beautiful dress to start of with...

I remember when i came home to my dads house with loooong black dreadlocks! He looked at me and said " ohhh thats cute" not really what a rebellious 16 year old had in mind haha.

And my mum did the same she would always touch them and stuff, talk about not being able to rebel! They would even come to my demonstration and take piccys!!! So i was never a very bad teenager my parents where to "cool" for that so i gave up :)

Hair - Go Girl!

haha, i read an article about them and my mum has deiced to join when she is old enough :) Im trying to convinc her to start practicing with wearing other colors then black...i just bought her green really beautiful dress to start of with...

I remember when i came home to my dads house with loooong black dreadlocks! He looked at me and said " ohhh thats cute" not really what a rebellious 16 year old had in mind haha.

And my mum did the same she would always touch them and stuff, talk about not being able to rebel! They would even come to my demonstration and take piccys!!! So i was never a very bad teenager my parents where to "cool" for that so i gave up :)
I'm quite a bit older than you and there is this dictate... "as you age, keep your hair lighter and short". Not me...long, dark brown hair. Not dreadlocks (which I love) but sometimes I wear thin, braided extentions throughout my hair. Unconventional is interesting and fun!

BuckeyeFan - ask her where she got it done and that maybe you should do same. LOL!!

ME - With purple and pink hair? That would get them good. I need to find some temporary dye.

As far as piercings go, the rule was while I was paying any bills - NO extra piercings! Now that she is getting out on her own, I expect to see one in the near future.

So much for you jumping out of your chair!

ME - With purple and pink hair? That would get them good. I need to find some temporary dye.

As far as piercings go, the rule was while I was paying any bills - NO extra piercings! Now that she is getting out on her own, I expect to see one in the near future.
Now, you don't have to worry about injuring yourself jumping out of your chair! Oh. These days...being kidless - I really don't know how I'd respond but here on the Island but there's more metal on young faces than chicken pocks! I'm thinking of getting extra piercings on my ear lobes. But that's that! What gets me are the silver loops on both nostrals.
Oh, my God. If there were ever a "cat fight" some girl would need cosmetic reconstruction. Girls can be a little brassy over here. Sometimes, I think of moving to Montana and learn to fly fish. Those kind of hooks I can handle. I think?!

LOL....actually, I may end up having to get my nose pierced this summer. I promised my 15 year old that if she got her grades to all A's and one or two B's (She was pulling D's and F's), that I'd let her get her nose pierced. Nothing big. Very small and discrete, and that I'd get it done too. Her last report card was all A's and one C. *sigh* I may just have to honor that promise......

As for me, I have 3 tattoos and a belly ring already. :)

Buckeye, my suggestion is to get the exact same hair dye and everything...and then insist on taking her out for a daddy - daughter day. :)

Tattoos...

LOL....actually, I may end up having to get my nose pierced this summer. I promised my 15 year old that if she got her grades to all A's and one or two B's (She was pulling D's and F's), that I'd let her get her nose pierced. Nothing big. Very small and discrete, and that I'd get it done too. Her last report card was all A's and one C. *sigh* I may just have to honor that promise......

As for me, I have 3 tattoos and a belly ring already. :)

Buckeye, my suggestion is to get the exact same hair dye and everything...and then insist on taking her out for a daddy - daughter day. :)
As I said earlier...I see myself getting a tat when I turn eighty!
Something to look (way) forward to. I just see myself with longish white hair (not grey) and who knows it might be streaked with purple and blue. I'd see myself as being the ultimate unconventional older woman going in for her first tat! Now, I'm into anklet bracelets, toe rings and fat funky rings on most of my fingers. Pretty tame stuff....I don't know why because I'm really not a tame person! Sounds like you have a great bond with your daughter!
Always - Laurie

LOL...actually, she's not my biological daughter.... :) She's my sister-in-law. But she does call me mom, ask me for advice, and do as I ask...and her brother and I are raising her and her sister (16) and brother (6)....so I call her mine. :)

Back
Top Bottom