Operation

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

seagull

Veteran
Reaction score
In news paper last week printed about lady who had brain surgery for her epilepsy newspaper said this operation of its kind.It did not say what it was or how it done but it took few hours other than that it said nothing else apart from 100%worked.I don't know what type she had but been bad and life saving to have done this.
brain surgery been going on for years so what this was I have no idea.It expressly said uk,so not sure if it surgery that been going on elsewhere and first be done here but I met many e people who had brain surgery in uk.maybe someone else knows what this ground breaking surgery was is etc.
To be first in anything usually means this your last chance with she had nothing to lose so her life must have been inblanenced I got impression she was In status more than awake.

I think this is the surgery.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-39506214

Robotic surgery first for Skewen epilepsy sufferer
6 April 2017
From the section South West Wales

A woman with epilepsy has become the first person in Wales to undergo pioneering robotic surgery.

The robot, built by Renishaw in Rhondda Cynon Taff, implanted probes into Denise Casey's brain.

Mrs Casey, of Skewen, Neath Port Talbot, was diagnosed at 31 and has suffered up to six fits a day for the past 20 years.

She said the preliminary success of the operation, previously not possible, "offered hope" to others.

The robotic arm allows surgeons to operate on epilepsy sufferers who were previously untreatable.

It is far more accurate at placing probes into a patient's brain and reduces the operating time significantly.

Mrs Casey has not suffered any fits since her operation in March and said her life had "improved 100%". .........

Thanks..now feel real idiot someone other side world tells me what's on me own tv channel.i should looked.
it was small article in news paper half paper at that...So it not operation itself but robot doing operation previously done by Doctor.I know Neath it not known as one of the top hospitals in the world but I obviously wrong.I wonder if it will be used World wide

There is also ROSA.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20...to-use-cutting-edge-robotic-neurosurgery.aspx

Sheffield Teaching Hospitals first in the UK to use cutting-edge robotic neurosurgery

March 20, 2017 at 8:02 AM

SHEFFIELD Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation has become the first NHS hospital in the UK to use a cutting-edge robot using a system similar to a GPS to transform the lives of patients needing complex brain surgery.

The ROSA™ surgical assistant robot – the most advanced of its kind in the world – assists neurosurgeons to undertake complicated brain surgery with greater precision, less invasively and in a shorter space of time.

Patients with poorly controlled epilepsy, deep-seated brain tumors, Parkinson’s Disease and other complex brain disorders are among those set to benefit.

Big man please tell me you European I not feel such a twat.news bouncing out of my country then bounced back to me from hospital not far from my son,I should be first to know...
Kings Colage London surpposed be the panicle of epilepsy control.Getting referral to Neath or Sheffield would be near on impossibly unless really serious then doubt it.In Wales not easy get certain cancer treatment my friend hD move back to England get that treatment.I wanted break through surgery for lymphdema again Done Newport Wales they want 250.00 trial but I was refused.
The NHS is wonderful far better than American health system but for somethings gives hope rather than a bed get treatment

Back
Top Bottom