Out of Body Experience feel like a ghost? TLE

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Steven

New
Reaction score
Some people who have Temporal lobe epilepsy or complex partial seizures may experience out of body experiences, watching yourself out of body or leave your body and be on top of the inside of the airplane looking down at yourself . Some feel like their arms and or body parts may seem foreign to them or don't exist. One may find that their brain is dead, feel numb or inoperable, as in not working. My symptoms included that the blood in my body was not supposed to be with me and started to start to think questions philosophically, like who am? I why am I here? I felt my body and soul were disconnected and feeling like a ghost or like a " stranger to myself" I had to Pinch myself to recognize I was still alive.
During an anxiety attack in my car I may start to pick at my clothing , start coughing for some reason and remove my shirt to try to feel better, even though this made no sense as well as start to turning the radio up and down, unaware of the song as I would hyperventilate and become sweaty and disoriented.
I has symptoms that when I walked it seemed as if I was walking in a dream and not moving anywhere, then stop and had to sit down as I got dizzy. I would be walking in a mall and a voice would tell me as I was on the second floor with a big drop down, "Jump" "Jump." Only on these walk on heights. Sometimes I would feel when I was on the bridge a force would start pushing me toward the left , near the overhang and I felt this force wanting to throw me over the rail. I was off balance.
Would you like to share some stories that I have experienced as you are not going out of your mind, but the fire storm in your brain is causing these god awful symptoms and they have left for GOOD. It was a living Hell . Thanks to my Doctor in Boston. I have experiences so many symptoms and I survived and became a success story owning my own corporation for the last 20 years, CARE TO SHARE? Love to help, share or talk?

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of doctor did you see? Was he a GP or a psychiatrist/psychologist? I ask because your symptoms sound like depersonalization and derealization to me. Do you notice these symptoms happening randomly or do they only happen when you have a seizure?

It's possible to experience these symptoms when you have a seizure, but if they're happening randomly, then it could be a dissociative disorder.

Depersonalization and derealization are caused by trauma or abuse. Sometimes it's not always obvious what the trauma was because trauma can be caused by many different things. If these symptoms are only happening when you have a seizure though, then it's most likely a symptom of TLE.

I'm not a doctor, but that voice telling you to jump sounds a bit like Dissociative Identity Disorder. I was diagnosed with this, so I'm familiar with the symptoms. Depersonalization and Derealization are usually a part of it and it's common to hear voices. It's also not unusual to have both TLE and DID.

Is this voice you're hearing coming from inside you or does it sound like it's coming from somewhere else? Also, do you ever notice changes in your personality or lapses in memory? Sorry I'm asking so many questions, but I'm curious if you might have DID too.

I was diagnosed with TLE left medial complex partial seizure disorder in 1989. I saw the Asst Chief of Neurology. Yes, I had derealization, macropsia, and depression. The depersonalization was symptomatic of a seizure and or part of one . The order to jump was inside my head and I had no memory lapses. I was treated with Tegretol and Klonopin. Klonopin gets rid of the depersonalization and Tegretol stops seizures , but I got this full package and am free of all of the above. In addition , to where the focus is, you have to have depression with this type of seizure disorder.This disorder was misdiagnosed by many until my Neurologist heard the symptoms and was picked up on a sphenoidal EEG. The origin of my seizure disorder was from a bike accident when I was a kid as a motorcycle flipped it and fell on my head seeing stars.

Last edited:
Ah I see. I'm glad the medications are working well for you. I take a few supplements that work well for anxiety and I haven't had any periods of depersonalization and derealization since, except when I have a seizure.

temporal lobe too and have same experience they horrible make me panic making whole thing worse

interesting to read this as I always thought it was just me in my seizure world. complex partial seizures and I go hand and hand. to me though it is more like slipping just a step or two from this world and looking back in, seeing people and/or things but never hearing anything. very strange and worrisome for a day or two when I come back. medications for the most part keep this away though to simple partial or auras.

hi steve,
would love to talk about it. ive never experianced one but do believe in them very much

obe

from what ive read i thought it would be something that you would enjoy doing.

ohhhhhhhh no but that is me..you greatly aware something wrong they on razor edge of europhria and horror

when e was bad about 30yrs back these sensations come one after the over starts pit of belly works up through body then out of body or deja vue experience they would make me panic then I over breathing makes it worse.

If however you are looking for spiritual path you lay down and just forcus on one small area in front of you and feel yourself joined to your body with cord but standing on the focus of what you looking at it can take months but I gather it works...not sensation I like so wont do it..i think it all chemical rather than spiritual but that personal opinion

obe

it must have been a experiance for you since most people get a chance to have it. ive heard of people having it but didnt say they didnt like it. how far did it take you ?

not far I just felt I was not in myself sometimes felt walking down the stairs...If people think it spiritual fair play to them but myself 100%chemical reaction....the yogi who get obe do it by breath control if get co2 and o2 out of whack it will do this to you

i guess people experiance it different ways. i never heard of it being that way. ive read and heard that people who have it goes as far as heaven but are turned back because its not there time to die. the ones that have gone to heaven but turned backed say its beatiful in heaven if you want to believe in it that far. im not a religious person . i just believe in ghosts and paranormal ive had a couple of experiances with paranormal if you believe in ghosts.spirits & those kind of things

now that different feeling...many years ago and I swere not dream I found myself in beautiful place my nan and granddad there and lots of family I never met but I still knew them they being real family not what you lumped with down here on earth.i was with them all but same time little barriour which babbling brook I desperately wanted to stay but they said no and I came back..the feeling of intense love and europhia was incredible I sinse learned its lack of O2 that do that

i to believe something around that not of this earth but i think in time science will explain it.....
By the way an asteroid is said to been seen hurtling towards us in next 5days that may be spiritual as bible says armegeddon will be in Syria..next 5days it all be academic we will know one way or another

obe

now astroids i do believe it might hit us 1 day. who knows. i live in the U.S.A. do you believe in ufo's ? ive never seen 1.

i live just by north sea and i do indeed see things there even ufo club who go end of my road once a month ufo watching(mind you the pub on corner got lot do with it)..was in east London last week laid on the bed looking out of window it was afternoon and i saw something black it stayed in one place for about 15mins just above a flight path the staking area for heath row so i aware of airplanes and it defo not a plane

i hear in england you seem to have more activity with ufo's than in the USA. i believe in them very much. if something just sat there in the sky at eye sight and seemed to look like a ufo it probably was.

Back
Top Bottom