Outer body experience

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RanMan

Too Much Experience with Epilepsy
Reaction score
Just throwing this one out there because I want to vent.
I'm wondering if anybody else experiences this. I call it an outer body experience.

It's hard to explain it but it bugs the crap out of me.
I get this about once a day. I feel like I'm looking down on myself trying to control my actions from above or when I'm doing a certain task, it feels like someone is wispering in my ear and telling me what to do but there's nobody else around or if I'm sitting idle, I feel like I'm doing something.

These feelings I've been getting are really starting to scare me, it's hard to describe, my wife thinks it's from stress but I differ.
Could this be a form of a partial seizure?

I've had EP for 26 yrs. but only started getting these feeling about 2 years ago.
I didn't tell my Doc. because he might think I'm nuts.
(Maybe I've been on the meds too long)

Randy

Howdy Ran Man!

Do you have TLE?

They sound like simple partial seizures to me.

One thing that I have discovered...
A lot of SP sensations that we look upon as a curse are levels of self-awareness that many yoga practitioners would kill for!

Part of my "Know Thyself" is Jnana yoga and meditation. I have discovered that SP seizures give a lot of us what I like to call "flashes of insight"

Lol. Can't you just see it? People dedicating their whole lives to finding and opening a door within themselves while others find the same door is a motorized turnstile sucking them in whether they like it or not. :shock:

Ran Man those happen to me all the time, and many others with TLE, it is a form of a seizure or aura. I call those my "little seizures" . Lots of times I get very tired after wards.
You should tell you doctor and nope I don't think he will think you are crazy. I think you will find that he has other people that have told him the same thing.
Elisa

That's a good point Elisa.

If you don't tell your doctor what is going on with you, he is really handicapped in trying to help you. I'd rather a doc thought I was crazy than miss out on diagnosing important changes in seizure activity if I had epilepsy.

Tell your doctor.

I have had epilepsy since I was a baby. I now know that I have been having SPs since I was a kid. I had a clean EEG when I was about 8 years old and was proclaimed to have outgrown epilepsy. I was taken off my meds. So, every time I had a TC after that, my mom said that it was just an exception and that I was still cured. I grew up haveing SPs and CPs, thinking I was crazy. Of course, I didn't want to discuss these experiences with anyone.

Then, in my twenties, I had a TC that almost killed me. I was finally refered to an epilepsy center. They asked "Does this ever happen? Do you ever experience that?" That got me to open up. I finally discovered that I wasn't crazy, I was just having a lot of SPs and CPs.

Don't be afraid to tell your doctor. They've probably heard it before, many times, and if they know what's going on they are more likely to be able to help you get better.

I go through the same thing. That could easily be a simple partial seizure. I get them. I have temperal lobe epilepsy. It feels like a dream, it feels like your detached from your own body. The best way I can describe it: Have you ever seen being john malcovich? Yeah, just like that. lol It is scary as hell to me though.

yeah me too randy. look into depersonalization, depression and some related
disorders... because i get a lot of the above.

i write really insightful lyrics, plays as proof - have since my whatever-it-is began.

the levels of self awareness i've developed are definitely not taken for granted here but i don't think i'd kill to have them.

my mum said there's an entire cult movement "mystics" that think the petit mal is some sort of divine spirit entering/leaving us because we're "chosen" ones.

i guess the yoga people fit into a similar sort of category

Using virtual reality goggles, a camera and a stick, scientists have induced out-of-body experiences — the sensation of drifting outside of one's own body — in healthy people, according to experiments being published in the journal Science.

When people gaze at an illusory image of themselves through the goggles and are prodded in just the right way with the stick, they feel as if they have left their bodies.

The research reveals that "the sense of having a body, of being in a bodily self," is actually constructed from multiple sensory streams, said Matthew Botvinick, an assistant professor of neuroscience at Princeton University, an expert on body and mind who was not involved in the experiments.

Usually these sensory streams, which include vision, touch, balance and the sense of where one's body is positioned in space, work together seamlessly, Botvinick said.

But when the information coming from the sensory sources does not match up, when they are thrown out of synchronism, the sense of being embodied as a whole comes apart.

The brain, which abhors ambiguity, then forces a decision that can, as the new experiments show, involve a sensation of being in a different body.

The research provides a physical explanation for phenomena usually ascribed to otherworldly influences, said Peter Brugger, a neurologist at University Hospital in Zurich, Switzerland.

Out-of-body experience induced

Bernard?

Link no longer good :(

But just to note:
I had that experience with one of
the generic AED, and I never had such
before, and it freaked the crappyola out
of me! I didn't know what it was and I
thought I was "separating myself" and
did not know how to put myself back
together. A Nurse stated it was called
'depersonalization' and we went through
the medications and the generic that I
was on was notorious for having that type
of reaction - unfortunately, so she called
Eckerds (defunct) and they got the other
generic (their brand) at no charge if I would
come in and they would replace whatever I
had left.

Then years later again with a different brand
of Zonisamide (Generic) and it was even worse!
Now I'm with the brand name and it's working.

Last edited:
Wow that was fast. The article was there just last night. No problem, I changed the link to a different newspaper. The article was syndicated from The New York Times, so you can find it in many places by searching for a sentence of the text I quoted above.

I had my first

(I think) episode of sleep paralysis when my ex-husband brought home his girl friend. She was supposed to be into witchcraft. Apparently, she said some things to me, and I was dumb enough to believe it.
That night, I felt paralyzed. Then I saw nothing but candlelight, then I saw them in black hooded robes coming at me, chanting some stupid spell.
I woke up crying. Then I was dumb enough to tell my ex what happened. He went on this lecture about the power of his girlfriend and how he was going to leave me.
I only experience this twice more. I do think that this is fear and stress that bring on fear. If someone is harassing me, I always get fearful, and stressed out.
I know I shouldn't let stuff get to me, but my parents kept stressing this 'punishment from god' bs. I believed this nonsense when I was a kid. Apparently, I haven't shaken this thing as I am now trembling, because of the memories of all this.

Shelley, that sucks, i'm SO sorry. :( Don't listen to those freaky-deeky people. I've known several & they're always full-of-it.

I didn't know sleep paralysis was related to EP. I've had that off & on since childhood & the weird outerbody experiences too. EXTREMELY freaky. I know (now) that strong fear is a symptom, or aura, of my particular form of temporal EP. I occasionally have what are call "lucid" dreams. Are those related?

Guess I should contact my old friend the wiccan & tell her I see & feel "things". lol

I have had many of those. The biggest when I was in my coma. But at night, sometimes things are so vivid to me, and I have been told I sleep walk and such, but some times things are so vivid I have to call and see if they really happenned.I am just touching on this now.

RanMan, Particularly in the 80's I had many OBE's. These were the days when if you had OBE's you were considered to be spiritually enlightened. So, there I was walking around feeling "above it all"! I was just diagnosed with Temporal Lobe Epislespy two years ago and asked my neurologist "Why now so late in life?" He explained to me that I had probably been having Simple Partials my entire life...such as OBE's. Yes. They are symptomatic of having Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. Also out of control garbled speech and having mystical experience all which were a part of my life. Now I hear outside voices which are also in the territory of TLE. I think TLE epilepsy is one of the most compicated forms of Epilepsy. Bi-Polar Disorder and DID are also linked to TLE. Hang in there you have plenty of company.

Back
Top Bottom