Oxygen Therapy For Headaches

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I had several migraines during the last 4 years- but they have increased over this year. I had a 4-day long migraine and went to my neuro a week later- to find out I have migraine with aura.
Added Lamictal to my Keppra XR/Tegretol XR but nothing for migraine yet since I'm increasing one med and decreasing the other.
I noticed that when I had a seizure and then a migraine after- EMS would always give me oxygen. They said it should help- then asked me how I felt and if I wasn't as nausaious or dizzy.
From what I noticed- it would stop my dizziness and I felt more relieved than I thought I would. I've never heard of Oxygen therapy or even thought it was weird to be given it when I'm able to breath just fine. EMS told me that it should help out- but I needed a shot of Zofran to help even more.
I was so sick! But I was given a shot of Phenergan which made me basically high- but had reaction to it- so no more of those!

Anyway- now that I know about oxygen therapy, I have a better understanding of why EMS uses it with me.
Also- they told me that after a seizure, even thought its a complex partial seizure- it will help out with dizziness and tends to help out in feeling better quicker- I'm guessing because i don't breath much during my CPs.

Thanks for the info-
Crystal

Treating Headaches with Oxygen

From my experience with oxygen therapy, headaches for the most part can be successfully treated if the cause of the headache is related to oxygen deprivation. For many people, the cause of their headache is often dehydration. Water is a better place to start with for home treatment of headaches without resorting to medications.

Oxygen therapy devices are commonly used to treat COPD, asthma, and a host of other respiratory diseases. Most of these devices, including oxygen cylinders and oxygen concentrators require a prescription from a physician.

People who still feel that they are getting relief for their headache from oxygen may want to try a personal oxygen machine or recreational oxygen as it is sometimes called. These devices do not require a prescription.

how do you get personal oxygen or recreational oxygen....i had couple viious head aches while in hospital and nuse gave me O2 and it helped very much..i would like to try it

O2 stopped my seizures !!

:e: Greetings One and All :e:

Hi, Me again!!

Have you ever heard of non-neurological seizures off and on for a 50+ yr life time / also non-psychogenic however caused by hypoxia?? Low O2 saturation in the blood??

I'm on a zillion meds maxed out and nothing showing up neurologically/ nor psychologically BUT my O2 concentrator was malfunctioning and after almost a yr w/no seizures they came on back to back - all test run - NORMAL - GREAT - well - long story short - got new O2 concentrator to bleed into my CPAP (I also have Obstructive Sleep Apnea) and another tubing to switch from my sleep tubing to a 25' tubing to wear anytime I am walking in room.

SINCE THE NEW O2 - NO SEIZURES AT ALL of any sort since that I got it on 02/22/2013.

Now in the room I keep the machine on at all times and keep tubing within inches of reach in case I feel "funny" " drowsy" "not right" "all of my previous 'aura' signs" and quick put on the O2 and am fine.

Tomorrow, a tech. of the O2 company is coming out to run up to date (w/in 30 days) tests and (knowing how the results will be) also is to leave me w/ portable O2 gas cylinders the size of a 2 liter soda bottle and an over the shoulder carrying case so I can travel by transit to my other doctors, etc and feel safe.

I look forward to being medically weaned off of my AC medications. I have to prove that the O2 when the "aura" comes on - which is actually when my O2 is sinking - is immediately relieved w/ O2 and absolutely no seizure activities over a long time span.

I would hope that something I've written has been of help and that as I read your posts I will find new help :)

God bless you - I pray you are each doing well and helping each other cope.

Last edited:
Do you have one of those oxymeters? They measure your O2 levels and are available at drug stores as well as online.

its been almost a month since I started CPAP/with O2, my headaches are better but not gone. Sometimes it feels like the dang thing is sufficating me. Far as help with seizures (aura's), no change yet, but wasnt prescribed for that reason anyhow. I haven't been getting overly sleepy during the day, so thats a plus. Nor do I get extremely s;eepy when driving at night, that use to be a problem.

This is interesting and well worth a shot next time I start to get a HA. I am curious to see if it will work for me!

Back
Top Bottom