[News] Parasite in Indonesian eels can cause epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
Shanghai, May 18 (IANS) A parasite that can cause epilepsy and or lead to paralysis has been detected in eels imported from Indonesia and the Philippines, officials said here.

This was the first time the parasite, gnathostoma spinigerum, has been found in China, said officials with the Shanghai Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau.

Shanghai may ban eel imports from the two countries to ensure food safety, the Shanghai Daily reported.

The bureau tested 26 samples of eels imported from Indonesia, and the parasite was found in 14 samples. It was also found in nine samples from the Philippines.

The parasite can affect both livestock and humans. It spreads through food, by contact with infected animals and can pass from mothers to their babies, officials said.

There is a huge market for eels in China and imported products are very popular.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/epilepsy-causing-parasite-found-eels-073635127.html

Well. No more eels for me I guess.

Well now,

if they can eliminate a source of E, I guess I'll give up my eel!

Back
Top Bottom