Parents, what about Cannabidiol or CBD

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

CBDep13pc

New
Reaction score
Hello, I’m new to the forum. I have a grand daughter that has been diagnosed with epilepsy. So far she has not responded well to her medications. I am considering Cannabidiol or CBD. Could any parents out there tell me what questions I should ask about using CBD? What should I want to know about CBD and my grandchild?

CBDep13pc,

My advice would be to support the parents. I don't know about your relationships but as a parent of a child with epilepsy, most of our family does not understand the issues and is not going to ever learn all the implications of what's going on. So a conversation with family is often lacking details. Do the parents want to know about cbd? Do they have an epileptologist? Has your grandchild's epilepsy been properly identified? Because it matters for treatment decisions. Most docs are reluctant to talk about cbd but an epileptologist often will discuss more than regular neurologists. I don't know what's in other states but my state has 'legalized' mj and recent testing shows a lot of pesticides in mj products. I would hope cbd oils might be better but it's still very wild wild west wrt mj.

Hello, I’m new to the forum. I have a grand daughter that has been diagnosed with epilepsy. So far she has not responded well to her medications. I am considering Cannabidiol or CBD. Could any parents out there tell me what questions I should ask about using CBD? What should I want to know about CBD and my grandchild?

Hi and welcome to CWE;

How many medications has your granddaughter tried? Some neurologists - even some epileptologists - want to make sure a child is considered refractory and/or has medication resistant epilepsy before considering CBD. The main reason for this is that there have been far fewer studies looking into the risk vs benefit effects of CBD compared to the medications out there.

My two suggestions would be to first, make sure your granddaughter is seeing a pediatric epileptologist; and secondly to find out if she is determined to have refractory seizures and/or is medication resistant in which case it will be easier to have the epileptologist agree to guiding the CBD treatment.

Of course the epileptologist should be consulted but that doesn't mean you can't do some research on your own before the appointment.

My personal experience with CBD extracts in the form of sub-lingual sprays, drops, and capsules is that they didn't do much of anything one way or the other for me.

There is a product however, that I've been having really great success with called Holden's Hope. It is a cannabis paste made from a very low TCH/high CBD plant cooked at very gentle low temperatures and then mixed and ground into the cooking oil which is coconut to form the paste. The TCH content is low enough that it qualifies as legal in all 50 states.

This method, as opposed to the high heat and chemical solvents that are used in most extracts seems to me to work better at delivering the whole goodness of the plant undamaged.

I have also tried and liked the vaporizer systems with CBD oil but that might not be applicable in your case since you are talking about a child.

I wish your granddaughter healing. :)

Back
Top Bottom