Partial seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MAB

New
Reaction score
Can a partial seizure be caused by the position someone is sitting in or lying in?

Each morning I get up and sit in my rocking chair while I read and answer some emails. Nearly every morning I have a simple partial seizure.

I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with the position of my neck.

I'm sure this is a weird question but I have learned a lot of weird things about epilepsy since I have started reading so much about it. I am going to give up sitting in the rocker to see what happens.

I know that many of my seizures are triggered by strong odors and illness but even when I am able to avoid those things I still have seizures, usually in the morning.

Are you outside when this happens? This is the time of year when asthma is a problem.

No, inside and it seems to happen year round.

I have been having several SPs but that is related to a bad sinus infection that is almost cleared up.

Everything I think I know all my trigger points I seem to have another seizure. It's very frustrating but I am grateful that they have only been Sps so far.

Possibilities:
1. Some people are just prone to morning seizures, and perhaps you're one of them.
2. Something you have eaten or had to drink is acting as a seizure trigger (eg. a food sensitivity).
3. If you have a problematic neck, then definitely poor neck positioning (like using a computer in a rocking chair lol) can affect nerve transmission and cause odd sensations in the neck, torso, limbs, etc. But in this particular example the odd sensations wouldn't be seizure-related but instead caused, for example, by a pinched or even just a compressed nerve. You might want to start by ensuring extra-good posture at the computer, and if this doesn't help see a physiotherapist who can provide exercise to improve neck positioning, posture, etc.

Maybe it is the herniated disk in my neck but in the past it caused symptoms on the right and now they are on the left. I see my neurosurgeon in July. I will bring it up with him. In the past it was my work computer that would aggravate it. I would keep it together at work but when I got into my car to drive home I would cry and scream all the way home.

I see my neuro the end of August and mention it to her but all she does is increase my meds and tell me to see a bio feedback therapist. I really don't have the money or the time to see him. It can take 20-30 visits. I am seeing my massage therapist. She will see me at any hour so it fits my schedule better.

I definitely have partial seizures from certain movements and sometimes if I am sitting too long. If I adjust what I'm doing-walk around,etc.-often the seizures will stop. Possibly it is the rocking causing it for you? Look up proprioceptive-induced reflex seizures.

It's somewhat better now that she is on medication but my child used to have seizures every time she went down a playground slide, we got rid of all the slides in our yard because it was such an issue. Something about that movement is just wrong for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As masterjen mentions, the timing could be more important than the rocking chair -- some seizures "start" hours before in the brain and take awhile to arrive at the station. But there could also be a more immediate trigger -- definitely see if being "off your rocker" helps. :)

Another thing to consider is how you are breathing while sitting in the chair. You may be breathing more shallowly due to your posture or your focus with the email. While sitting in the chair, try taking a break to focus on breathing from your diaphragm, with longer exhales than inhales.

I tried not being "off my rocker" but that isn't my natural state. :)

I haven't been feeling well for a couple weeks so I haven't been going to the gym. Today I decided to lie on the couch when I got up and I seemed to feel a little off but not as much as usual.

It seems like every time I figure out what I think my trigger is, it's something different, or maybe there isn't any trigger.

If stress is the cause they will never end. Working and helping care for my 5 year old grandson with severe autism is really taking a toll on all of us. Last night he kicked me in the breast and I'm sorry but I smacked him. That set of a meltdown or tantrum like I have never seen.My DIL is in palliative care for chronic pain from a condition and now has a heart issue. She can't care for GS much of the time so that leaves a lot of his care to his GF and me.

Sorry for the long rant.

I'm supposed to see a therapist but that's just one more stress that I don't need. I don't have time and I certainly don't have the money.

No apologies necessary MAB. You've got a lot on your plate. I hope you can find ways to take care of yourself in addition to the others under your wing.

Not to derail the topic too much but your grandson is getting to the age where (depending on where you live) his parents can apply for a Medicaid waiver to get some hours with a personal attendant and respite care. It might be worth looking in to as a way to reduce stress on you. They should consider the fact that his caregivers have health problems as part of the waiver application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they get all the help they can for him. Our county gives them a $1000. grant each year for things like that but they have always had to use the money for other special needs that he has such as special car seat, I-Pad to help him communicate, special diet and supplements prescribed by doctor. There isn't money left over for respite care. His other grandmother watched him one evening for about 4 hours and then said "I don't know how you do it". We are their respite care. Through the state he gets medical care and he is also on his dad's insurance plan.

Not living in the US I don't know what rules and regulations are there, but could your family not look for volunteers to assist with your grandson? Some people willing to volunteer may have some experience (eg. a retired special educator), and others may be very willing to learn. Even if your grandson's parents do not want someone other than family looking after their son, perhaps finding the right person to assist (rather than be alone) with the child, or even someone who would volunteer to grocery shop or do some housekeeping. In general, there are more people wanting to volunteer than there are volunteer positions. One just needs to know where to let others know a volunteer position is available.

Possibilities:
1. Some people are just prone to morning seizures, and perhaps you're one of them.
2. Something you have eaten or had to drink is acting as a seizure trigger (eg. a food sensitivity).
3. If you have a problematic neck, then definitely poor neck positioning (like using a computer in a rocking chair lol) can affect nerve transmission and cause odd sensations in the neck, torso, limbs, etc. But in this particular example the odd sensations wouldn't be seizure-related but instead caused, for example, by a pinched or even just a compressed nerve. You might want to start by ensuring extra-good posture at the computer, and if this doesn't help see a physiotherapist who can provide exercise to improve neck positioning, posture, etc.
All three of the above plus you have mentioned having recurring sinus issues and being very sensitive to smells. Is it possible that the room where your rocker lives could have a mold/mildew problem in the walls or the carpet? Some people are very sensitive to spores.

Not living in the US I don't know what rules and regulations are there, but could your family not look for volunteers to assist with your grandson? Some people willing to volunteer may have some experience (eg. a retired special educator), and others may be very willing to learn. Even if your grandson's parents do not want someone other than family looking after their son, perhaps finding the right person to assist (rather than be alone) with the child, or even someone who would volunteer to grocery shop or do some housekeeping. In general, there are more people wanting to volunteer than there are volunteer positions. One just needs to know where to let others know a volunteer position is available.
That would help so much if we could find that kind of help. I was hoping my DILs mom would help but no luck there.

All three of the above plus you have mentioned having recurring sinus issues and being very sensitive to smells. Is it possible that the room where your rocker lives could have a mold/mildew problem in the walls or the carpet? Some people are very sensitive to spores.
I would probably help to at least clean the carpet. I would love to get rid of it and replace it with wood but we live in an apartment. I manage the apartments and when the apartment next to my son became available we moved back to the complex to help out. I think I really am going "off my rocker".

Smells and sinuses are a big issue for me but it must be something else that sets them off too, or maybe they just occur for no reason. The ones I can't figure out do happen most often in the morning.

Thank you all for your replies. I think it's time for me to hit the hay. I have a splitting headache after crying all day.

The same people who are sensitive to chemical smells and such are often sensitive to mold and/or mildew spores.
How old a building is it? Asbestos insulation? If the carpet has been there a while and has ever gotten wet, the pad underneath could be deteriorating and putting off fibers and chemicals. Just a few more cheery things to think about.
But right now, the biggest threat to your sinuses is all that crying. Get some sleep.:hugs:

Back
Top Bottom