Passtimes and hobbies

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I miss the chain fabric stores that would even be inside shopping malls. More than that, I miss those independent stores that designated themselves as quilt stores, like the one I purchased my sewing machine from--it was even named quiltfabric.com. The fabric prints you'd find at those stores, although more expensive, were truly unique & higher quality.

Hancocks, I remember those...but yea, they're not here anymore. In my town anyway.

I've always sat in the sidelines as far as hobbies go. Failed quite a few. šŸ˜‚
I do need something besides watching sports and playing fantasy football. I'd probably make a great bookie. šŸ¤Ŗ

The only place I can get fabric in person (that has a large selection) is Jo-Ann. The quality that used to be there (in the small shops) isn't. Other hobby store chains carry fabric, too, but their selection isn't as large.

I have always loved cooking as I grew up learning to cook from my Italian background. I could go down the list from helping my Great Grandmother in the kitchen to my Grandmother to watching or even helping both of them when we would cook for the entire family of 30 to 50 of us. Yeah, large dinners every time. LOL! Anyway. I grew up learning how to cook as there was always something for me to do.

I can remember when I was old enough to start working I would start working in the family owned mushroom business then got into learning some of those mushrooms we couldn't give to the clients in our family recipes. So my passion and desire has always been for cooking and making others happy. Now that I'm older and married my husband and I like to cook together creating specific dishes with the Instant Pot throughout the week as we use it at least three times a week if not more. We also like learning new healthy recipes using the Instant Pot as well.

I loved cooking, as well as sewing, but barely cook now thanks to the complex partial seizures. Now with my husband working from home, I can cook more often if I want too, but I still don't cook as much as I did prior to those seizures starting.

I've recently started making a lot of the apron/potholder sets that I often do, & my mom said she'll sell them for me. My friends have also said they'd like to buy them.
Every summer our masjid has a fair, & I'm thinking of setting up a booth there to sell some of those as well as the hair clips & lanyards that I make. I'll have to donate of some the money to the masjid, which is fine by me, since I'm always helping there.

I've recently started making a lot of the apron/potholder sets that I often do, & my mom said she'll sell them for me. My friends have also said they'd like to buy them.
Every summer our masjid has a fair, & I'm thinking of setting up a booth there to sell some of those as well as the hair clips & lanyards that I make. I'll have to donate of some the money to the masjid, which is fine by me, since I'm always helping there.
My Wife has very long, straight, thick hair. Do you think that the hair clips that you make, would work for her? Let me know, and I may be interested as well!

My Wife has very long, straight, thick hair. Do you think that the hair clips that you make, would work for her? Let me know, and I may be interested as well!
I'm sure they would. I make beaded alligator clips & French barrettes. I, too, once had long thick hair--then Tegretol came into my life.
The allergic reaction to it caused me to lose over 85% of my hair. Topamax caused more loss, & Zonisamide is finishing the job. Before taking AEDs, I could barely wrap an extra thick hair rubber band twice around a ponytail--now, I can wrap tiny ones around 4-5 times!!

I'm sure they would. I make beaded alligator clips & French barrettes. I, too, once had long thick hair--then Tegretol came into my life.
The allergic reaction to it caused me to lose over 85% of my hair. Topamax caused more loss, & Zonisamide is finishing the job. Before taking AEDs, I could barely wrap an extra thick hair rubber band twice around a ponytail--now, I can wrap tiny ones around 4-5 times!!
Ugh. Well, let me know, PM me with prices and such, and I'll get a few clips/barrettes from you. Also a donation to your Masjid. Been forever since I've given alms. Gotta buy my way into Heaven; it's getting closer and closer. :) Shukria

just beat a video game, so i will probably knit for a bit, to stretch my hands out from the controllers

Watching a hulu series regarding a medical examiner. Most predictable show I've ever watched, but it passes the time.

My mom took some of the hairclips/barrettes as well as a few apron & potholders sets I had made when she visited family in TX. That niece sold all of them to her friends.

been binge watching quantum leap
, it is an easy show to watch

Been binging on sons of anarchy here. Just finished season 3. Not sure what I think about it so far, I'm pretty conflicted.

Ok y'all, if anyone needs a series to binge on, my all time fav is Justified. It's on Hulu. We've seen it several times. On Hulu, check it out but give it a few episodes before you form an opinion. :love:

Been binging on sons of anarchy here. Just finished season 3. Not sure what I think about it so far, I'm pretty conflicted.

Ok y'all, if anyone needs a series to binge on, my all time fav is Justified. It's on Hulu. We've seen it several times. On Hulu, check it out but give it a few episodes before you form an opinion. :love:
I personally found Sons of Anarchy enjoyable, but agree completely regarding Justified. There's a "new" Justified, same star but he got his old hat back thankfully, lol. I recommend it, too.

Back
Top Bottom