Pets

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sweetroll

New
Reaction score
I have had two cats since my seizures started. Both cats have been very helpful in telling me when I'm going to have a seizure. The one I have now follows me , gets in my face and meows very strangely at me.I don't always get it but family around know it's time to act. I love my cat. After the seizures the cat feels so soft it helps a lot!
a13f3a68a88ac1bed026b9972784230a.jpg

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Hi Sweetroll,

Your cat is adorable. I found out that some animals like seizure alert dogs can sense when a person is going to have a seizure 10 min to 1 hour before the seizure happens because they can smell a chemical/odor that is coming off our body that humans can't smell. Then depending on how the pet is trained they will either put their paw on you or the dog will bark and spread out on the floor to try and protect the person if they fall. I found it amazing. We have a great vet school at Cornell University near me and this is where I learned a lot of this. Wishing you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

Last edited:
That's amazing. I hope my cat will do this too. I had a grand mal two weeks ago, but was not with the cat. Your cat is gorgeous.

Unfortunately no. When I got mine "Robin" it was 2005 she passed away about 2 years ago. I had to get help from the family and then make payments. Now that there is a greater need for service animals because of head trauma and PTSD caused by the war there may be some grants available

Back
Top Bottom