Photosensitive Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

DCD

New
Reaction score
Hi All,

Wondering if anyone here has Photosensitive Epilepsy?
I'm in my early 20's and ever since I can remember, especially when travelling on a bus in the early morning, the sun flashing behind the trees would basically cause my muscles to spasm briefly.

I had never thought anything of it and just assumed it happened to everyone - until it happened to me the other day in front of a friend, who thought it was the strangest thing she'd ever seen! So I did some research & this seems very likely!

It's basically a build up, where I can feel myself about to "spasm" and then it happens! Only lasts for a few seconds.

I wondered if it was even worth going to the dr's about this as I feel as long as I don't stare out any windows as I'm driving I should be fine.

What are your thoughts on this?

Hi DCD --

Quite a few members are Photosensitive, often in reactions to fluorescent lights (Walmart can be very triggering). I'm not photosensitive now, though oddly enough before I started having seizures I was -- dappled or super bright sunlight could give me migraine aura (scintillating scotoma) without the headache.

If it isn't particularly bothersome, and isn't progressing -- in frequency, duration, or kind of symptom -- then it's okay to hold off on seeing the doc. If it is getting worse, or makes your driving unsafe, then you should check in with the doc. Do you wear sunglasses? Do they help?

Best,
Nakamova

Hi Nakamova

Thanks for the info!
Have pretty bad eyesight so wearing sunglasses over my glasses isn't really an option - but definitely think its time to look at getting some prescription sunglasses to try and limit the exposure when driving!

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom