[News] "Pill To Stop Fits Instantly"

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
This is a news story in today's Daily Mirror (a UK newspaper)

Scientists are developing a pill that stops or prevents an epileptic seizure. The "on demand" pill for drug- resistant epilepsy would suppress fits with no disruption of normal brain function. Prof Dimitri Kullmann, of University College London, said in the journal Nature Communications: " A modified virus injected into the brain instructs brain cells to make a protein that is activated by clozapine -N-oxide, which can be taken as a pill. The activated protein suppresses cells that triggers seizures."

Clozapine is a powerful anti-psychotic and is known to induce seizures. I googled clozapine-N-oxide and nothing came up. Can you provide a link to this article you found?

I've checked online and the article isn't there but there are several research articles in Nature Communications on epilepsy research. Really brainy stuff though.

It is exciting but realize that all this is very preliminary. The experiments have only been done in rodents & there are issues that need to be addressed so even if this does work out it will take quite a few years before we see the results available on the market.

From the study posted:
Gene therapy targeted to the epileptogenic zone has been shown to be effective in rodent models of epilepsy including focal neocortical epilepsy7. However, viral delivery of transgenes that alter excitability permanently may impair essential function of circuits near the seizure focus.

Yes, the project definitely has a way to go before I'll let anyone treat me like a rat LOL!

Back
Top Bottom