[News] Please don't TASE me bro

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Birdbomb

VNS Guru
Reaction score
Ugh. Tasers just...suck. Given that the guy tasered was the nephew of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas (and given that Chief Justice Roberts has had two seizures himself), maybe this will raise the profile of epilepsy, and put the spotlight on the ignorant and apathetic care given by first responders to people with seizure disorders. (There are plenty of good EMTs and ER personnel, of course, but the bad ones just add insult to injury).

I read this in another article last night. This just made me so livid. He didn't want to wear a hospital gown, and decided he wanted to leave, so he was grabbed, punched, had his hair pulled, and he was finally tased. He wasn't threatening anyone. I think some medical "professionals" see epilepsy in a person's medical history, and they think they have the power to detain them no matter what. Haven't watched video provided yet.

Momentary hijack - maybe some of these commenters should consider Thomas' (Clarence) opinion of civil rights re the privileges and immunities clause versus substantive due process as a means of protecting them, before they spout off about his lack of concern for civil rights, though granted empathy does not guide his decisions, clearly.

I think the reason they felt "entitled" to use such force wasn't because he was epileptic, but rather because he was there for a possible suicide attempt. They knew he was epileptic, and that should have ruled out the possibility of using a taser. There are plenty of other options to use if a person that may be a danger to themselves/others is trying to leave(four point restraints,medicine interventions,quiet room/seclusion,etc). Pulling out a person's hair,punching them in the lip, and then tasering them is completely unacceptable.

Back
Top Bottom