Please Help Me!!!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi everybody :)

My name is Nick and I need advise and help badly...

I have suffered two grand Mal seizures in my life time...The first one was 3 years ago and the last one was in November of 2006 and I will tell you now they both scared the hell outta me...Now to my problem the last one I had happened after staying up all night at a friends house...It was at about 10AM when I was talking to a friend and then I slumped forward in the chair and started snoring...I then fell out of the chair and started convulsing...It only lasted about 1 min 30 secs and when I woke up I started sweating so much so it was literally dripping off me and I had a weird hissing in my ears...I went straight to bed and slept...

The problem is that 5 months after the last seizure I still feel dizzy especially when I am tiered or have just woken up...I just can't seem to shake it and I seem to have this high pitched noise in my ears all the time, especially when I go to bed.

I have been to the doctors and had an EEG but they just seem to think it is normal Epilepsy...But I just don't understand how these symptoms have lasted 5 months...

I have listed some of the things that I believe led to the last seizure:

1: I was a heavy cannabis smoker at the time (but have quit now)
2: I was having trouble in a relationship and was stressed out
3: I had a bad sleep pattern for 4 years
4: I sit in front of a computer quite a lot as its my job

Please can anyone help me of give me some advice...As you can understand I am really scared and that is making me more stressed out...I have a really bad fear of death and this just makes it worse...

What I want to know is, is it normal to feel dizzy and weird months after a seizure and has anyone experienced this before.

I look forward to reading your replies and thank you very much for reading this.

All The Best
Nick :)

Hi Nick, welcome to the forum. :hello:

I have never heard of anyone experiencing a post-ictal period spanning months.

The constant ringing in the ears could be tinnitus. My father has it (he doesn't have epilepsy). It is aggravated in his case when he eats spicy foods. If he lays off the spices/peppers for a while, the ringing slowly dies down to a point where he can ignore it.

Constant dizzyness could be a symptom of a problem with the ear (like an ear infection). It's also a common side effect of several anti-epilepsy medications.

Thanks for the welcome Bernard

Yes it's strange....I've scanned the Internet for hours looking for similar cases and found nothing....My doctor doesn't even know what it is...In fact I've been to see 3 doctors and the best brain doctor in Britain and they still don't know what it is.

It can be quite worrying...Just one other question, could it have been the Cannabis, as I was a heavy user for about 6 years, smoking maybe 10 joints a day and after the second seizure I quit cold turkey straight away....Could that make me feel funny?

Thanks for the quick reply

All The Best
Nick

Short answer is I don't know. I was never a smoker.

My brother however, was a heavy smoker (so were most of his friends). Every time he would quit cold turkey, he would be extremely moody (bi-polar like) and had great difficulty thinking (cognitive impairment). It would clear up after a month or two though and he would be functioning normal again.

Normal tinnitus does not include dizziness - it's actually a problem in the brain (not the ear). Your dizzyness indicates to me that you might have an inner ear problem.

Thanks

I will go back to my doctors soon and see about the inner ear problem, it is really annoying me...I can't sleep because of it sometimes

Thanks for the advise dude!

All The Best
Nick

It is not that bad

Hay nick you can handle it. It sounds to me like the hardest part will be giving up the pot.
I am an epileptic with both grandmal and petitmal seizures that seem to be finally getting under control. I have had the petitmal all my life and the grandmals since I was 18. I am a father of 6 kids and have had to deal with the embarrassment it can cause both to me and my family. If you are someone else is interested in how I have learned to deal with it send a reply or post a message I try and answer any questions.

Hi rvl, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Stacy is pretty good about letting any embarrassement from having seizures (in public or not) wash off her back like a duck.

your quesions

Hey Nick now that I have a bit more time mabe I can answer a few questions.
Hey Nick now that I have a bit more time maybe I can answer a few questions.
First of it is normal to want to sleep it off, and be a bit dizzy for a while the way it was explained to me was that was first off you just burnt well over a days worth of calories in 1-2 minuets. As far as the dizziness goes you probably just pounded your head into something and the sooner you are able to get out and get a little bit of fresh air and get on with life the better. But dizziness is also a symptom of a type of mini petitmal seizures that are common after a grandmal seizures as well as right before a grandmal may accor .
Check again on the term normal epilepsy either doctor doesn’t know what he is talking about or he figures you don’t have the brains to understand him.
I don’t know much about cannabis and a far as relationships go I have only had one and has stressed at times but has lasted 16years.
I do know that one trigger for my grandmals is excessive exhaustion, sleep deprivation.
I also have been told to watch how much time I spend in front of a computer screen, TV, video games, or anything with flashing lights
[/list]

That's funny dude because I'm not much of a sleeper...In the last 4 years I have done a good few all nighters due to the fact that I was homeless for a while (don't worry all is well now, I got my own house and turned my life around) I have cut down dramatically on the pot now, just 1 joint every couple of days and the great news is that the tinnitus is wearing off now and no other fits have come around (yet!) :wink: ...I still get really paranoid when I get a funny feeling or dizziness kicks in and I don't like been in the house on my own just in case....One of my biggest fears is that I will be in the bath one day when my girlfriend is not in and I will have a fit and drown (not a nice thought)...Once I get over this paranoia and get my sleeping pattern in order, I should be alright, I mean god damn it's 2:37am as I write this...

Have a great weekend everyone

All The Best
Nick

they also have a study on diabetes and kidney failure etc, you may suffer convulsing + ringing in the ears all at once.

time to see a doctor, quick quick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom