[Info] potential use of tianeptine as an AED

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mylo

New
Reaction score
i was actually reading tianeptine a few days ago on wiki. it doesn't require prescription in the states, however how its efficiency for treating E compared to modern AEDs is unknown. wiki makes it out to be a cure-all treating anxiety, parkinsons, adhd, epilepsy, depression, and different kinds of pain, without serious side effects. it's even metabolized in the kidneys instead of the liver so it shouldn't interfere with any other meds.

i actually feel like giving it a try, seeing as i rarely have seizures, the only symptoms i've gotten from temporal lobe epilepsy are depression, anxiety, and the severe personality changes that come after panic attacks.

it's pretty expensive though, maybe later on this summer when i make some more money.

forgot to mention. it's said to reverse stress induced brain atrophy via interaction with BDNF in the brain, similarly to ketamine's distinctive long-lasting antidepressant and neuroprotective effects.

Tianeptine isn't available in the U.S. -- it's not approved by the FDA, because the company that makes it hasn't submitted it for review. It's not banned outright or classified as a controlled substance, so it's possible that you could obtain it through other means. If you do get ahold of some, proceed with caution until you know how it affects you.

will do! i just found an reputable online pharmacy, but it's quite expensive. it's on par with wellbutrin (another med i was on previous to my diagnosis).

i'm reading all the studies i can find on it now. it seems to be a *very* unique compound. no other compound has clinically achieved it's SSRE effects although berberine is MIGHT have a similar mechanism (however berberine's 5% bioavailability makes it almost an insignificant psychoactive).

also, i heard the whole reason they haven't submitted it for review is because all the trials it has to go through are pretty costly. i went to search for it in mexico (i live in a border town) but i found that servier in mexico has discontinued it as a product. the only way to get it is overseas shipping.

i've nothing much else to lose though, valproates and benzos just don't do it for me, and the only doc (i can afford) who treats this condition is unwilling to change my AED.

Back
Top Bottom