• Yes, emotionally

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Yes, physically

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Yes, Physically & Emotionally

Votes: 22 53.7%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

epileric

Veteran
Reaction score
This morning somebody sent me a very cute e-mail about a certain program they use that I'm always asking questions about. It answered my questions but I interpreted it as them telling me they were tired of me asking all the time. Very soon after replying I had a seizure. It wasn't until I told them how I was feeling when replying to their e-mail & that I had a seizure right after that I had to wonder if maybe my moodiness (which I often get) was due to a pre-ictal period.

Has anyone noticed a frequent change in moods before their seizures?

I ticked "physical and emotional" but had to think a bit about the "emotional". In the end, I decided that being too tired and unmotivated to do stuff fell into that basket, so ticked that box.

My pre-ictal symptoms (as I'm feeling now!): dyslexic, trouble speaking, can't handwrite, cognitive problems, tired, can't be bothered tackling my 'to do' list (procrastinating), facial muscles tensing, heat on top of head. Some minor uncontrolled jerking. I think that's about it.

I dony really knoe. Posdt ictal o can ytell the diferenct but pre is normyl

I did not vote because I am not sure about my son's seizures. He has absence seizures and I have noticed that if he is irritable, hitting, banging his head, etc, I will probably see an absence seizure shortly. Sometimes his ears and face get red and his breathing changes and I wonder if there is some abnormal brain activity going on even if I don't see any absence episode.

I forgot to mention that one of the ways I know I"m likely to have a seizure is when I wake up feeling energetic & mentally alert. I usually put on some upbeat music & almost always feel the need to sing along. That's when I usually have a larger than normal seizure.

I thought it was so ironic when I figured that out because I feel so good it feels like I'd be less likely to have a seizure but that's not the case.

The first thing I feel is a stiff neck, that can last for a day or 2 before the seizure. Right before it happens I get very tearful & terrified, I guess the fight or flight is kicking in...well no fight lol, just flight.
Epileric, I used to get that happy, blissfull feeling shortly after a seizure, before I started taking medicine, I miss that.:woot:

My above post is a perfect example of pre-ictal. I can be pre-ictal for hours. Though today was a dual TC day, so that could have been post-ictal. Had one around noon-one and one at like 730. Both while napping, so I dropped my 1 month TC streak but not while awake.

My above post is a perfect example of pre-ictal.

I was going to ask, Rae, but thought it more appropriate to wait for you to catch up with it and tell us. I don't have tonic clonics, but if I was about to have a complex partial, your first post is something like what I would type - full-on dyslexic. I don't drive, and try not to work, on those days.

ETA: hope you're feeling better soon.

Yup. I never have any idea when I'm pre-ictal. I guess technically I have a physical feeling. But like Eric, I feel okay and it just doesn't click that it could be pre-ictal feelings. My brain goes into deny, deny, deny.

Eric and Meetz have my back though. Anytime my speling is rough they message me. Of course I usually say I'm fine. Once I called Eric Dad!!!! He was cool with it though. But just goes to show how off my brain is sometimes.

I put that I feel different physically and emotionally. I feel... weird. Like... it's hard to explain other than to say I feel like like my head and body are suddenly polar opposites. I feel this horrible dread, and, depending where I am, the last thought through my head is usually "Aw, not here!"

It felt good to read that Eric -- Scott gets moods before as well.

It's something we initially though was just a post-ictal effect, because of a very clear incident where he had a terrible mood after what appeared to be a partial seizure.

Our thoughts on that changed a few weeks ago, when he had a terrible mood and low energy for much of the day, and then had what appeared to be a complex partial, after which his mood completely vanished.

All of my tc's are nocturnal, so apart from having auras during the day pre-ictal effects are hard to judge. Sometimes though I will quickly become extremely tired before bed, much more than I would expect.

My tc's happen at different times during the night. According to my wife, on a regular 11-7 sleep schedule, they will mostly occur around 1:00 or 4:00. I don't know why this happens though.

Mine are nocturnal and around 3 to 4 am. Sometimes I will cough for about 20 minutes before hand. I never know it, but have been told by the hubby. I do seem to notice some changes during the day before as well. Fumbling with words, slow overall.

:e:

Hi All!

Can some one please explain the term, 'pre-ictal' I know it means before the seizure happens. Is it as same as an aura/warning? Or is it something entirely different? Hoping I don't sound stupid for not knowing the above!

Haven't voted on the poll as of yet because of not knowing what pre-ictal is!!! Once I do know I will vote because then I will know what it is!!!

Susan

Miss Choccy

Last edited:
an aura is considered to be pre-ictal but the term itself refers to anything that happens before a seizure, not necessarily immediately before.

I know Rae gets her pre-ictal period as much as 2 hours before & I've felt "good" and energetic for hours before my seizures.

What I'm curious about is anything that regularly happens before a seizure, it can be for any length of time beforehand and any sensation, emotion, spiritual experience or anything else I might have left out.

Last edited:

Hi All!

Thanks Epileric!

I voted in the poll and voted for 'Never really thought about it'. I do know immediately before I have a seizure I have an aura/buzzing in my ears beforehand. This is literally a few seconds before I have the seizure.

There been times when I have felt dizzy/'floaty/light-headed a hour to a few hours before I have a seizure but other times nothing at all. There all been times when I have felt dizzy/'floaty'/light-headed and haven't have any seizure at all. I've been putting the dizzy/'floaty'/light-headed down side-effects to my AEDs!!!

I do wonder if side-effects from medication can be worse before a seizure? Could that be possible? Hm, food for thought I say!

Miss Choccy

Susan

I get this weird feeling in my body - sort of electric but that's not it. Kind of buzzing, but that's not it either. And a feeling in my head. All very hard to describe. Also get a feeling that something is really wrong - doom. This can go on all day, on and off. Also can happen right before a seizure, or sometimes not at all before a seizure. Almost always happens before a CP but I block it out and just keep going. I think I'm the queen of ignoring things.

I get this weird feeling in my body - sort of electric but that's not it. Kind of buzzing, but that's not it either. And a feeling in my head. All very hard to describe. Also get a feeling that something is really wrong - doom.

Yes, that's a better way of describing mine... buzzing-ish. A strange... feeling in my head. And the doom, yes. Something wrong, panic, and then realisation right before it's too late.

I get this weird feeling in my body - sort of electric but that's not it. Kind of buzzing, but that's not it either. And a feeling in my head. All very hard to describe. Also get a feeling that something is really wrong - doom. This can go on all day, on and off. Also can happen right before a seizure, or sometimes not at all before a seizure. Almost always happens before a CP but I block it out and just keep going. I think I'm the queen of ignoring things.

This sounds so much like me! Apart from feeling 'weird' and that something bad is going to happen, I also can't speak coherently. I struggle to find the right words to express what I think. But sometimes I get those 'weird' feelings and nothing else happens. And at other times I seem to feel normal and things happen when I don't expect them to!

And when typing I also get 'dyslexic'.

IDK how unusual this is but , I hallucinate wildly before most of my seizures, my mind get's crystal clear and the thoughts execute perfectly about 3 times the speed they normally would. I started a topic on Auras (which is what i have been told they are called) to talk about it.

Back
Top Bottom