Put your cell phone down!!!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

That's horrible! (The video asking what 15 multiplied by 4 is & not 1 student able to answer). I love math--I have since childhood. In fact, while shopping, especially w/my mother, I'll do many calculations in my mind. For example, I'll tell her the price of something if they're offering a discount, or which size of a certain product will actually be a better deal. I use the calculator mostly when adding or subtracting a series of numbers, like when I'm balancing my checking account.

Hi Army Vet,

You hit the nail on the head it is very sad. I even have students in 8th grade who don't know how to read cursive anymore
and they don't know the times tables because the school allows calculators for all the students but when I first started working
in public school the only time you could use a calculator was for Physics, Trigonometry and Calculous. All I can say is everyone
better start saving up their money for the future because the younger generation doesn't want to work or I should say many of
them don't want to work.
Wishing you only the best and May God Bless You,

Sue

That's horrible! (The video asking what 15 multiplied by 4 is & not 1 student able to answer). I love math--I have since childhood. In fact, while shopping, especially w/my mother, I'll do many calculations in my mind. For example, I'll tell her the price of something if they're offering a discount, or which size of a certain product will actually be a better deal. I use the calculator mostly when adding or subtracting a series of numbers, like when I'm balancing my checking account.
I totally agree. They probably don't do times tables anymore (up to 12x12). I've been a math geek all of my life. I've got a degree in civil engineering. Then the seizures started 🙄 I'm all for using calculators to save time and less mistakes, but you gotta at least know the basics and how to get there first. I'm sure they can't do long division nor multiplication. God help them if they have to deal with fractions and percentages.

I don't know if it's true or not, but my dad once told me Henry Ford didn't want his people too educated. Just enough to sign their checks and keep working the line. Same here. Make us just smart enough to where we can't see the forrest for the trees and have more to explore and more opportunities.

You hit the nail on the head it is very sad. I even have students in 8th grade who don't know how to read cursive anymore
I don't know if this is true or not but I heard that some schools are thinking about doing away with cursive! I don't know how you'd sign you'd name then?

they don't know the times tables because the school allows calculators for all the students but when I first started working
in public school the only time you could use a calculator was for Physics, Trigonometry and Calculous.
Same exact thing with me. Math was my best subject. The teacher was great too, he taught all of the harder math classes. I looked foreword to getting to that class during the day. If you didn't know something he'd write it down on the chalk board (kids probably don't use those now) and explain it to them. I do have trouble doing math in my head though, but if it's on paper I usually don't have any problem.

That video is horrible Army Vet!
Like I'd said I have trouble doing math in my head but I know 'short cuts' if that's the way to describe them, that I might be able to use in my head. For example: 15X2=30 Then 30+30=60 So the answer to the math problem is 60 Not sure if anyone got that?

I tutored too after I graduated.

Last edited:
Hi Val,

Yes, this did do away with cursive writing in public school. Administration and some teachers felt it was a waste of time
since the students were using their computers for all of their school work except gym class and Home Economics, Shop
and Art classes. When a lot of the students graduated from High School and opened up a checking account or co. wanted
them to sign their name on a job application they were lost so some schools are starting to bring back cursive but most schools
are still sticking to the computer world and telling the students to write their name electronically which is garbage.

As far as chalk boards most of them are gone now they use a smart board which is a board where they can watch videos and
the teacher can also use a marker to write on the board but often the marker won't come off the board they cost between
$2- $3 grand for each classroom. Many parents were complaining about chalk dust which was a bunch of nonsense because
the teachers would clean down their board each day.

Give me English and History over Math any day. Sending lots of love and May God Bless You!

Sue

Some school districts around here recently did away with cursive, but not all. They don't make them practice math by hand as much as we had to in school.
I had both my sons practicing math problems before they even started school. I also tutored in our high school's resource center.

Back
Top Bottom