Question re spitting med's out.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

donnajane

New
Reaction score
My 2yr old is usually great with his med's but of course being 2 he is now starting to show he wants more control. Yesterday he spat out what looked like most of his night dose of Tegretol. He was so overactive last night, struggled with sleep and his special aid at child care today said he was really active again today.
When he spits out his meds should I give him a bit more? if yes how much? or should I just leave him until his next dose?
He has 2.5ml am (after breakfast) and 7.5ml pm (after tea)
Although he didn't have any seziures we could see he was what his nureo calls in an almost manic state and large mood swings but then he is a toddler.
Thanks
Donna

That's a tough call, the neuro may be able to give some guidance. But I would think if he spits it out right away, and you have a pretty good idea how much of the med didn't make it, you could re-dose with the same amount. If some time has passed, and/or you're not sure what he was able to swallow, it's safer to just wait it out until the next dosing time.

Thanks, will make sure i mention it to his Nureo at his appointment on the 25th.
I can't believe how over active he came just by spitting out some of his dose. He had most of the dose each time today and he has "calmed" down. Even child care said he was quite different than yesterday. It was intersting to see how he reacted.
Donna

yes, it gives you a sense of how powerful these meds are and how they can affect the body when you take them -- and when you stop taking them.

Testing times ahead

Dear Donna,

This is about one of the only times in my life where I can say I know how you feel. I have a 25 month old gran mal and tonic clonic diagnosed 6 months. On 4mls tegratole 3 x daily. She has been testing lately in taking her meds I have been bribing her with cheese lol. Seems to be working for the moment but I took her to the doctor he suggested adding it to a small amount of milk in a sippy cup. Not sure what else to try

Thanks for this might ask his Nureo re the milk. I might also ask him re spreading his meds out and adding in a 3rd dose. I know he wants him to have such a large dose at night to help control what he feels may be event's over night. My little man loves cheese as well. He can't get enough of it. I am sure if I would let him he would have milo and cheese and be totally happy.
I know it's just an age thing and i go through it with my other kids but they didn't have the issue with needing to take meds every day.
Donna

Once my little girl realized she couldn't win the med fight with me, she's been great about taking her meds for a couple years now. This site describes the "cheek pocket" method I had to use a few times back in the bad old days of med fighting (it also has advice on what to do if you child spits up the med):
http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/child-rearing-and-development/giving-medicines
I've posted before in a Dravet Syndrome forum more details about how I used the cheek pocket method. If anyone wants more details on it let me know and I can try to find my old post.

Back when my daughter would fight and spit up meds occasionally I'd just do my best to eyeball it and re-dose how much she spit up. I figured I'd get within 50% of her target dose, all you can do is your best guess.

Here's the rule of thumb I was given for if your kid vomits up a drug this long after taking his dose:
  • <30 minutes = redose
  • 30-45 minutes = give half
  • >45 minutes = don’t redose

My son is 1.5 years old and has just started refusing to take his medicine. I've been giving it to him in a sippy cup with some juice, and he is happy with that. I haven't actually asked the doctor if this is okay, though, so better to make sure. I need to ask the doctor about this as soon as possible.

Does anyone know of any problem with mixing keppra with orange juice?

Orange juice is fine with keppra.

Thank you, Nakamova.

I found a good website that lists common medications for children and what to do in case a child vomits after the medicine, etc.

Here is a page for Keppra:

http://www.medicinesforchildren.org.uk/search-for-a-leaflet/levetiracetam-for-preventing-seizures/

And here is one for Tegretol:

http://www.medicinesforchildren.org.uk/search-for-a-leaflet/carbamazepine-for-preventing-seizures/

As you said, it is okay to mix Keppra with juice (also milk). The page for Tegretol doesn't say whether it is okay to mix with juice or milk.

Back
Top Bottom