[Info] Questionable Treatments

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

epileric

Veteran
Reaction score
Here are 9 lists, each from a different Medical Specialty College with what they each consider to be the top 5 things that patients should question.

Nine United States specialty societies representing 374,000 physicians developed lists of "Five Things Physicians and Patients Should Question" in recognition of the importance of physician and patient conversations to improve care and eliminate unnecessary tests and procedures.

These lists represent specific, evidence-based recommendations physicians and patients should discuss to help make wise decisions about the most appropriate care based on their individual situation. Each list provides information on when tests and procedures may be appropriate, as well as the methodology used in its creation.

http://choosingwisely.org/?page_id=13

I am glad to meet you Irene.

Bernard made this forum out of love for his wonderful wife Stacy. That love permeates throughout the whole forum.

Epileric, it has been suggested to me that I have shots in my lower back. I asked the doctor who was going to give me the shots what are the side effects. He told me none. I did not believe that, because there are side effects to every medicine.

My main concern was that I would have to lie down for 30 minutes and be perfectly still. I have tremors so I asked him about it. He said we would worry about it when the time came. That was not good enough of an answer for me, so I cancelled the shot in my lower back. I asked my doctor, who referred me, about the side effects. He said that a possible one is paralyzes.

I have severe lower back pain, but I would rather put up with that than take a chance of being paralyzed.

I firmly believe in checking out any procedure that a doctor wants to do. Better safe than sorry!!

Last edited:
I'd love to offer my non-medical opinion but we'd have to know what you are getting shots of first. That way it could easily be looked up by me or you.

You are smart to talk to the referring doctor & research things first though.

I'll offer advice on what I've been through but I will always advice a person to see a doctor if they think they need one know matter what might be wrong.
I can offer advice on what side effects of meds if ask. Or if person is considerding surgery,VNS since I've had both and can say ppl here will try help as much as possible.

Hi epileric, they showed on the internet how the procedure is done.
The shots are for the pain in my lower spine. That is where the shots would be put.
It is one long shot that they have to take their time with. That is why it takes about 30 minutes for one shot.

I did not like his answers to my questions so I cancelled. He did not believe that I have tremors, sometimes real bad ones. I would not want one and then the tremors start. I have to lay perfectly still.

One time, I had an EEG. I had severe tremors during it.

My husband and I did thorough research on the internet. It was a reliable doctor doing the procedure. The person was absolutely still the whole 30 minutes.

Because of my tremors, I will not have it.

Back
Top Bottom