[Research] Recap of 2013 research on Ketogenic Diet

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

KarenB

New
Reaction score
http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/ke...ail&utm_term=0_cf0feb6500-b128616167-12250501

Some of the highlights:

1) Children on the Ketogenic Diet long term had their growth affected (height and weight), but were able to catch up in growth once diet was discontinued (this study of 40 children in Korea confirmed results of earlier studies in the U.S.).

2) A small study of 6 children found that intermittent fasting may also be helpful in seizure control, and that the mechanisms of intermittent fasting are different than the Keto diet, and perhaps the 2 may be used successfully together. (we successfully did so back in Nov/Dec 2013 and regained seizure control)

3) A study of 12 children who had high cholesterol levels BEFORE initiating the diet found that (even tho the diet is high fat) their cholesterol levels were LOWER after 12 months on the diet.

4) A mouse study discovered that the Ketogenic diet can have positive impact on symptoms of Autism -- such as less repetitive behaviors and more social communication.

Thanks Karen, this is great. I find #3 to be especially interesting. I wonder if carbs play a contributing role in how the body reacts to cholesterol, so that removing carbs from the diet would be beneficial.

Yes, I found the lowered cholesterol findings on a high fat diet intriguing as well. It may indeed be possible that carbs somehow play a part in high cholesterol, as I've heard similar reports from adults who have gone on the Atkins diet (to lose weight). I just assumed that perhaps the weight loss contributed to the lower cholesterol rates, but children on the Ketogenic diet aren't losing weight (unless, of course, they were obese when starting the diet; in that case, their nutritionist would probably set their calorie limit for a slow weight loss, as it's easier to maintain ketosis when lean.

Another thought is that the "normal" diet of all too many kids can be just as high in fat as the Ketogenic diet, if they're eating a lot of junk food, potato chips, fried and battered foods, hot dogs, fat-laden desserts and candy bars, etc. I would suspect that this would be the case with a child who has high cholesterol levels. So, converting from such a horrendous diet to the Ketogenic diet (where a nutritionist is guiding into wiser food choices and healthier fats like olive oil, avocados, flaxseed meal, nuts, etc.), not to mention eliminating sugar, may be quite a step up for some children, nutritionally speaking. so that they not only improve neurologically, but also in overall health.

I do know from interacting on the forums at the Charlie Foundation and Matthew's Friends that the majority of us parents with kids on the Keto diet start to become real health food nuts. We have to give so much thought and planning into preparing our child's meals (and we see the miracles that nutrition can work), that many of us start to just go with whole foods, eliminating most processed foods, MSG, etc., many go completely organic, and focus on getting as much fresh fruit and veggies into our kids as we can. The whole family starts eating better (yep the grocery bill is higher, but the doctor bills are much lower).

Back
Top Bottom