[News] Regarding Milk

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

epileric

Veteran
Reaction score
The rate of disease outbreaks caused by raw milk and related products was 150 times greater than outbreaks linked to pasteurized milk during a 13-year period, according to a study by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The review, published in the Atlanta-based CDC's Emerging Infectious Diseases journal on Tuesday, also found that states where the sale of raw milk was legal had more than twice the rate of outbreaks as states where it was illegal.

“While some people think that raw milk has more health benefits than pasteurized milk, this study shows that raw milk has great risks, especially for children, who experience more severe illnesses if they get sick,” said study co-author Dr. Barbara Mahon in a release. "Parents who have lived through the experience of watching their child fight for their life after drinking raw milk now say that it’s just not worth the risk.”

The study reviewed outbreaks of dairy products such as milk, cheese and yogurt from 1993 to 2006 in 50 states. It compared the amount of milk produced in the United States during the study period to the amount that CDC estimated was likely consumed raw (about one per cent) to determine the 150-times-higher rate for outbreaks caused by raw milk products.

The study included 121 dairy–related disease outbreaks, which caused 4,413 illnesses, 239 hospitalizations and three deaths. In 60 per cent of the outbreaks, state health officials determined raw milk products were the cause.

Nearly all of the hospitalizations (200 of 239) were in those who became sick during the raw milk outbreaks, which occurred in 30 states. Seventy-five per cent, or 55, of the raw milk outbreaks occurred in the 21 states where it was legal to sell raw milk products at the time. The study also noted seven states changed their laws during the study period.

Raw milk illness rates in U.S. prompt CDC warning

Last edited:
Great article Epileric,

I lived on a ranch for 6 years while I was growing up. We got raw milk from the cows. Do you know what rises to the top? The cream!! My parents took that off and made butter. Then they pasteurized the rest of the milk. They taught me never, ever drink raw milk. I never did and I never gave it to my children.

When I was about 30, I had friends who believed in raw milk. Their babies were real obese from the raw milk. The parents thought that was healthy. I new better but I did not say anything.

Being obese can cause real bad health problems.

Back
Top Bottom