Resting after seizures; how long?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
My wife was, until recently, a very well-controlled epileptic. Her occasional problems with auras were moderated by the fact that she is one of the few her naurologist has ever seen that could literally shake them off.

This changed recently when my wife had a pair of seizures within twelve hours of each other, about a week ago. She was doing better, however, actually had a couple of good days, but now she has started working again. Granted, it is from home, but it is still using her brain for major multi-tasking {she is the manager of a small firm}. Since she has been working, we have had aurus nearly every day, and one tonight that involved aphasia, which only showed up one time in the past.

I am asking her to insist upon an assistant at the physical office, and take on lighter duty but also to rest, meaning low mental activity preferably with eyes closed or asleep, for at least an hour in the middle of her day, and an hour at the end, until things start righting themselves. This is pretty normal rehab for a more "physical" injury; the "muscle" of the brain would seem no different.

I do not believe that I am overreacting; I am a scared husband who will do just about anything to see his wife better, but I need suggestions. I also need a little support, both for myself and my approach. The whole idea, after all, is to help her get back to where she wants to be, but healthily an safely.
[/B]

Welcome!
What a wonderful husband you are! I applaud you!
How does your wife feel about everything? Does she feel that working is making things harder? Is she more stressed out now that she is working again?
It would be natural that she would need an adjustment period. How scary for you both of you to have things escalate right when she needs to have her "A" game on.
Is she able to rest after her seizures or auras? I find myself personally at work that I need anywhere from 15-30 minutes just to lay down afterwards (but mine are partials) and everyone is different.
I think an assistant is a great idea! Would it be a blow to her pride?
I imagine it would be difficult to return to work and transitioning slowly into things would be a great idea. I can be really stubborn at times. I like to pretend that I can do everything by myself and when I can't I get frustrated, angry and depressed. Is she like this at all?
This is really hard for both of you. It sucks and I wish it would all just go away. But you are both stronger than you realize and you will learn this as you are both forced to adapt, and you will. That is the only option, right?
Of course you are scared! Be gentle and patient with yourself and her as everyone adjusts to all the changes going on.
How wonderful and fortunate that she is able to do things from home!
Good luck, and give things time!

Hi Dracohobbit, welcome to CWE!

I think most of us fight against anything that feels like a loss of our independence, or a diminution of our skills. You and she should approach this issue collaboratively. As someone who works at home and runs her own business, I can understand why your wife might not want an assistant -- sometimes that kind of delegating can be more stressful rather than less. You're right to be concerned about your wife's health, and building in breaks throughout the day can be one simple way to mitigate stress. Discuss what might help and why, and try things on an experimental basis, paying close attention to what helps. It might be easier to try smaller, more frequent breaks, rather than the one-hour chunks. Even 5 minutes of meditation (eyes closed while focusing on breathing) can make a difference.

You might also want to take a look at other factors such as quality of sleep and meals to see if any modifications can be made there . The more moderate and consistent you and she can be, the better. There are good tips here to consider: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/proactive-prescription-epilepsy-1254/

Best,
Nakamova

Everyone is unique, but I wonder if peoples recovery time from seizures is shorter at a young age.

Back
Top Bottom