Risk Factors Associated with Epilepsy - Part I (Alcohol, Other Drugs, Foods)

Risk Factors Associated with Epilepsy - Part I - Alcohol, Other Drugs, Food

• Alcoholic Beverages - Sporadically

Votes: 19 19.6%
  • Alcoholic Beverages - Frequently

Votes: 13 13.4%
  • Alcoholic Beverages - Special Occassions Only

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Alcoholic Beverages - Do Not Use

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • Other Drugs - Sporadically or Very Isolated

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • Other Drugs - Frequently

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other Drugs - Do Not Use

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Foods - Sporadically

Votes: 13 13.4%
  • Foods - Frequently

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • Foods - Do Not Use and/or Avoid As Much As Possible

Votes: 20 20.6%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

brain

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
NOTE: This poll comes in Part I and Part II

This Poll is Part I

In reference to Alcohol, Other Drugs - meaning
O.T.C. - Over The Counter & Illegal and/or
Recreational Drugs, And Food that are KNOWN
to be Seizure provoking to YOU.

=================

• You Do Not Have to Post A Reply At All,
    But If You Do Post A Reply It Will Become Public
    And Anyone Viewing It Will See Your Response.
  • All Votes Are Private
  • You May Answer More Than One Selection Which
    Applies To You.
=================

Risk Factors Associated with Epilepsy - Part II - Doing Things When Advised Otherwise

Last edited:
I don't know of any foods that affect Kater. They might but I (being the bad mom) haven't gone down that route.

As for the drugs and alcohol, the only drugs that best be in her are ones that I give her!!

I'm confused by the foods? I have never been told not to eat anything..

I'm confused by the foods? I have never been told not to eat anything..

Some foods are known to be (or contain) seizure triggers for some people (see http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/proactive-prescription-epilepsy-1254/ for more info). In addition, simple sugars (and white flours) can be complicit - especially for folks who are borderline with blood sugar disorders (ie. hypoglycemia). Grapefruit can also be problematic as it can interfere with AED metabolism.

KATE:

Bernard beat me to the post but
primarily the question is:

Are you willing to take the RISK of eating
such FOOD(S) even though it will provoke
seizure(s) in you?

Last edited:
Drugs and Alcohol

I don't touch drugs or alcohol just so I don't have to ask myself if either one was the reason as to why I had a seizure, both are eliminated as possible triggers. I smoke, but my Neuro told me as long as I'm not doing the others, I guess the only one you do is up to you if you want to quit or not. I'd like to try, but my previous attempts have failed. I have managed to stay away from drugs or alcohol.

I live a really clean life- no drugs or smoking. The legal epilepsy drugs are enough for me!

to me thats also like saying what is the risk of swimming? Or taking a bath? I do both and I let my son. I have one life. After my coma. Im living it.

I have drank more (still limited) over the past few years since my tc are controlled. I know I shouldn't, but I still do on occasion. Can't honestly say why.

Not sure how to answer the OTC question. I don't touch anything illegal, but do take pain killers and vitamins. I guess I do avoid tylenol (supposed to hard on the liver along with the dilantin) and avoid the antiacids that can impact the dilantin.

Other than grapefruit, I am not aware of any food issues with my E.

I never did illegal drugs. Not even once. I am just becoming aware of how much of a seizure trigger so many OTC drugs can be. The scary thing is the Neurologists I have talked to don't seem fully aware that you can be following the directions when taking an OTC med and it can still cause a seizure.

Let's see, I drink on special occasions, and then only one or two beers. As for drugs, I don't use them unless they are prescribed. And as for the food, well, as I am hypoglycemic, I tend to watch what I eat fairly well, and try to eat 5 times a day. I haven't had any major sugar issues....although my sugar did drop quick one day last week. But I think that's because we were busy in the process of moving, so my dinner ended up being a bowl of Captain Crunch. 3 hours later, my sugar dropped, my hands started to tremble, and I went and got myself a bowl of oatmeal and a piece of chicken. I pretty much avoid milk. (Lactose intolerant.) Although I do love cheese, yogurts, and those little drinkable Yakults. Normally, if I have a carb, I'll make sure I have a protein with it. Last week was a fluke.

I have never smoked or taking illegal drugs.
I have never been interested in drinking alcohol & I don't srink alcohol now.
I used to like eating chips (french fries), KFC & used to eat a bit of fried food. I haven't eaten KFC since Feb & stopped eating fried food in March because I thought it had something to do with some seizures that I had. I had fish & chips recently & I didn't think much of it LOL. I also used to eat sweet food & very rarely eat it now.
I eat more salads, fruit salads at lunch time now LOL.

Once every year or 2 I crave chips & dip. I used to buy the chips in a tube (Pringles?) & garlic dip & usually finish half the tube in one evening. I found though that the next day I would always have a seizure that was much stronger than my usual ones.

Of course I now resist that annual craving.

beer

I have recently gotten back to drinking beer. I have had a wopping total of six this year. I have not even touched the stuff previously, except for a little in college.
Originally, it was a financial thing. I couldn't afford it. But now, I am comfortable without it, and for rare, very special occassions, around a very select group of friends (whom I enjoy), I have one or two.:banana:
I try to avoid foods that I react negatively with.
As for OTC drugs, just supplements and whatever the doctor says I can have for pain (ibuprofen) sinus (Zyrtek) and that's it.

Does anybody know if antihistamines are seizure triggers? I was just given an RX for one and hesitate to take them.

Does anybody know if antihistamines are seizure triggers? I was just given an RX for one and hesitate to take them.

I strongly recommend that you consult
with either your Neurologist, Epileptologist,
or Primary Care Physician.

The Pharmacist may have knowledge pertaining
to this - TRUE - but ... he/she would not know
your seizure(s) background; your Doctors would.

Sorry that no one responded to your post and
it took so long for a reply.

I strongly recommend that you consult
with either your Neurologist, Epileptologist,
or Primary Care Physician.

The Pharmacist may have knowledge pertaining
to this - TRUE - but ... he/she would not know
your seizure(s) background; your Doctors would.

Sorry that no one responded to your post and
it took so long for a reply.
Well, I figured I was better off leaving one extra factor out of my medications. I did not take antihistamines a few weeks ago. Instead, I applied microwaved heating pads to my sinus area.

I can take them. Benedryl is ok. From a Dr.s point of view. My son can take it. And he has had lung problems.He is on meds for that to.

Back
Top Bottom