Risk Factors Associated with Epilepsy - Part I (Alcohol, Other Drugs, Foods)

Risk Factors Associated with Epilepsy - Part I - Alcohol, Other Drugs, Food

• Alcoholic Beverages - Sporadically

Votes: 19 19.6%
  • Alcoholic Beverages - Frequently

Votes: 13 13.4%
  • Alcoholic Beverages - Special Occassions Only

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Alcoholic Beverages - Do Not Use

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • Other Drugs - Sporadically or Very Isolated

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • Other Drugs - Frequently

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other Drugs - Do Not Use

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Foods - Sporadically

Votes: 13 13.4%
  • Foods - Frequently

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • Foods - Do Not Use and/or Avoid As Much As Possible

Votes: 20 20.6%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I can take them. Benedryl is ok. From a Dr.s point of view. My son can take it. And he has had lung problems.He is on meds for that to.
In the past, I had bad reactions to Sudafed. I've been able to take Benedryl and Coricidin. I avoid most cold medicines because I also have glaucoma (inner pressure of the eyes can get too high and I can't feel it. Only my eye dr knows how to measure that pressure.).

So, I usually opt for a hot cup of tea, steamy shower or as a last resort, some cold medicine.

I think I have learnt the hard way about alcohol and my medication. My husband and I do enjoy a wine and most afternoons when he gets home from work we will have a glass. Last weekend we had an early Christmas celebration with my family as we will be spending this Christmas out of town with my in laws and decided to have a few drinks. I was not in any way drunk but that day I had forgotten to take my morning medicine and took it in the early afternoon and then took my night time medicine a little bit later. The next day I was so sick it was disgusting. I couldn't even keep water down and there was no way I could take my medicine without throwing it up! I guess I am very lucky that in between all that I didn't have a seizure. Now the very thought of even 1 alcoholic beverage is turning my stomach, a week later!!

The only thing I've ever really had a problem with was Benadryl. It doesn't affect me every time I take it but I've had pretty bad myoclonic jerks shortly after taking it enough times to make me stay away from it. Myoclonics are usually a sign that I might have a TC so they worry me a lot when they happen. And they usually occur in rapid succession so I get pretty disoriented.

My understanding is that antihistamines are ok, decongestants are not ok. I used to use Neo Citran for colds but not now because of the decongestant. I just make myself a hot lemonade and it seems to make me feel all warm and fuzzy, like the Neo Citran, without the risks!

I have never taken illegal drugs, but I do drink alcohol whenever I go out with my friends or family, this always results in me having a lot more absences the next day.

I am very restricted to over the counter drugs due to having asthma as well as seizures, this is one area that my doctor has been very strict on. The only painkiller I am allowed to take is Paracetamol, the USA equivalent is Tylenol. I am not allowed to take the following -

Ibuprofen
Aspirin
Codeine
Decongestants
Anti-Inflammatry's with the exception of Prednisilone steroids
Anti-Malarial tablets (I am only allowed Malarone)

Yep , you have to be careful.This new, old drug Im taking , I swear its weird. I want off of it. Im telling my Doc today. ick

am I the only incorrigible?

I guess I am the only heavy (or EX heavy) user of alcohol....drugs, (from my 20's/30's) tho' I smoke daily to control a LOT of things...(cigs are not what I smoke)....anyhow....I just had to say something (guess that's the Keppra working)...I've had 3 seizures thus far.....am 42 years old...been through rehab for alcohol in February.....feel like I somehow did this to myself...even though the MD says it could have been the 3 concusions I've had....the 10 surgeries (general Anesth).....who knows....anyhow......
I just had to put my two cents into this as everyone else seems to be "good" and NOT do the things I do (or did)

Welcome!

Hi Cornczech!
While drugs and alcohol may have been major factors, it is highly unlikely that it is the only thing that has caused your seizures. Rest and nutrition are also factors.
Listen to your doctors and research. Read through as many posts as you can to learn as much as you can.
We have a lot to offer, and I'm sure you have plenty to say as well.

Thanks!
So far, ya'll have provided me TONS of information. Sadly, my neurologist, though a doll, doesn't provide me with much more than a shrug and crossed fingers.....not good enough when even my Co-WORKERS are afraid of me and my seizures, (I had one while seeing a patient 2 weeks ago today and apparently I am stronger than I look!). It is WAY freaky to me that I can be dumdeedum minding my own business and WHAMO I fall to the floor frothing and jerking......sigh....luckily I've only suffered bruises, scratches and a chipped tooth.....and you're correct, it's probably NOT just the drugs and alcohol to blame....the neuro gave me a shrug and said it could be ANYTHING....I just want my brain back, is all......

Maureen,

You may want to Google "antihistimines and anti epileptic drugs"

I think you have it backwards. If you're on any type of AEDs, you should avoid anything with antihistimine in it like most cold and flu meds.
It is documented that antihistimine is a seizure trigger if combined with any AEDs.

Originally Posted by RanMan :
Forward2007,

I just had to add my piece, it's from an earlier post:

check with your pharmasist or Dr. but if you are on ANY anti-epileptic drugs, definately don't take any over the counter cold or flu meds (anything containing antihystimine and/or decongestant as the chemical reaction CAN be fatal.)

I speak from 28 years experience of being on anti-epileptic drugs.
I was told (and experienced myself) internal bleeding or nose bleeds from most headache meds exept Tylonol. That's the only one that I can take that doesn't react to my seizure meds.

I can't take aspirin, IB Profen, Advil, Exederin or Motrin, just Tylonol.

I took 2 Advil once by mistake and had massive nose bleeds that wouldn't stop. At the time I didn't think it had anything to do with the meds then it happened again just a couple of days before I had to see my neurologist. I happened to mention this to him and he was very concerned and said that I was lucky that I didn't bleed out through my stomach.

This is more of a problem in my case because I also take meds for my ulcerative colitis.

This warning is not documented on any OTC cold/flu meds literature.
I don't know why the FDA doesn't make this info manditory.

Regards

Randy

Re: OTDs, I was really surprised to see on the local news today that the FDA is finally making it PUBLIC about the dangers of mixing over the counter drugs with other OTDs as well as with perscription drugs.
Finally it's being looked at more in depth as a result of the death of Heath Fletcher.
This is what I've been saying all along ~ antihistimines can be fatal if mixed with perscription drugs to cure things like the common cold.
Most ppl know this but IMO, it should be law to have this information noted on the packaging.
It's like everything else, someone has to die first.

Randy

(1) Isotope Laboratory, Institute of Agricultural Medicine, Lublin, Poland, PL
(2) Department of Hygiene, Medical University, Lublin, Poland, PL
(3) Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Medical University, Lublin, Poland, PL
(4) Department of Pathophysiology, Medical University, Lublin, Poland, PL

Received: 8 November 2002 Accepted: 7 February 2003 Published online: 9 May 2003

Summary. Endogenous histamine has been reported to be involved in regulation of seizure susceptibility. Enhancement of histamine neurotransmission engendered by L-histidine treatment produces anticonvulsant effects in experimental animals. The present study investigated the influence of L-histidine on the protective effects of carbamazepine and phenytoin against maximal electroshock-induced seizures in mice.
L-Histidine, administered at the doses that did not influence the threshold for electroconvulsions (250–500mg/kg), enhanced by nearly 30% the protective effects of carbamazepine against maximal electroshock-induced seizures. D-Histidine (1000mg/kg), an inactive isomer of histidine, was without any effect in this regard. L-Histidine (500mg/kg) also augmented the protective effects of phenytoin. Importantly, the enhancement of the anticonvulsant effects of these antiepileptic drugs produced by L-histidine co-administration was not associated with augmentation of their unwanted effects on memory and motor performance. A pharmacokinetic interaction was also excluded since the free plasma levels of these antiepileptics remained unchanged in the presence of L-histidine. It may be suggested that L-histidine could serve as a beneficial adjuvant for selected antiepileptic drugs.

That is an excellent warning Randy. I have learned more about Tylenol, since beginning my research.
Since alcohol does turn to sugar in the body, it could most likely be the reason you started having seizures. Just put you over the top. Loads of information on liver damage, and how this contributes to seizures. Hope that while your doctor does shrug, that he also will teach you ways to heal from the inside out. Changing my daughters nutritional choices has made the largest improvement in her control. No doubt in my mind. Neurofeedback is great and will help reduce the kindling effect of seizures. However, without the nutritonal changes, I really doubt the neurofeedback would have made lasting changes.

I'm not condoning the use of alcohol. Normally I keep clear of it. When questioned by my neurologist years ago (and I still adhere to my policy) about alcohol consumption, I described that I took a sip of ceremonial wine for church services and the occasional bottle of beer on special occasions. His observation of my alcohol consumption was one of extreme moderatation in it consumption.

Just one question: why give the gov't your tax money when you can use it more efficiently yourself? :D It's money they don't get in luxury taxes or other revenues.

beer

fries my brain. I had one Friday, and I have forgotten almost everything. I had more absence seizures as well. I'm letting a friend of mine have the rest of the six-pack. I've battled this absence stuff too long to get seizure free, only to have this major set back.

Drinking alcohol while on AEDs

I totally know my limit ~ 3 beers and I'm totally wasted. I know this from 28 years of epilepsy.
Anything above that can be dangerous for me (may trigger a seizure).
I'm not saying that it's O-Kay for everybody to go out and have a few beers.

Alcohol effects everyone differently depending on body chemistry and/or the type of AEDs you're taking, severity of your seizure condition, etc.

And as I mentioned above, OTC meds (especially those containing antihistimines) can also be very dangerous when mixed with AEDs.
I found that out when I almost bled to death internally from taking Advil for a headache while on diantin and pheonobarb.

Randy

You know , I guess I am pretty lucky. I never drank as a teen. Didn't like it. Never tried any of that until I was 40.But I am more careful since I have Alex.

I freely

admit I used to do more than my share of drinking when I was younger. But, I don't do that much anymore--once in a blue moon I get a margarita or a beer, and that's it. I do miss drinking my Guinness, though....but mixing it with my AED's is just not cool.....

I have about one glass of wine a week. I used to have two in a sitting. I find that it just tires me out waaaaayy too much. One is enough, and cheaper too!

I drink alcohol very sporadically. When I was taking valproic acid I felt 'normal' after having a glass of wine. Now, being on Keppra, it feels really weird and not like one glass of wine but more like a half the bottle :D.

My body changes so much with meds, age, hormones,lol, I did not drink as a kid. And drugs did not interest me. But now I drink wine responsibly. Meaning to if I drink more than 2 glasses I'm drunk. But not to drunk to say stop. I have spoken to my son about this to now. He is 13.

Back
Top Bottom