Risk Factors Associated with Epilepsy - Part II (Doing Things When Advised Otherwise)

Risk Factors Associated with Epilepsy - Part II - Doing Things When Advised Otherwise

• Have taken some risks and Doctor did not advise me but I was aware of it.

Votes: 44 35.8%
  • Have taken some risks and Doctor did not advise me but I was NOT aware of it.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Doctor had/has advised me not to drive but I drove anyway.

Votes: 30 24.4%
  • Doctor had/has NOT advised me to drive but I was aware of the risks.

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • Doctor did not give me a clear list of any risk-factors of anything of what I can do and cannot do.

Votes: 36 29.3%
  • Doctor gave me a brief but vague list of what I can do and cannot do.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Doctor gave me a rigid list of what I can do and cannot do.

Votes: 13 10.6%
  • I am a risk-taker, I take my chances, and I do it sporadically

Votes: 36 29.3%
  • I am a risk-taker, I take my chances, and I do it frequently.

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • I am NOT a risk-taker and DO NOT take chances.

Votes: 28 22.8%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I had my own car. It was great. 1970 Black Mustang. Couldn't drive it. Sold it to my brother. He wrecked it. Oh well. Never driven since, never will.

I think the only thing that we know for sure is that we will die. I belieive in the Quality of life, compared to the Quainty of life. I hae Scuba dive (love it), but won';t do it again until my seizures get better controlled. I did that when I was sz free for over 6 yrs. Sky Dived (never do that again). I hae driven since I was old enough to drive, never had a sz behind the wheel.
I have worked as a Volunteer EMT.FF. I work in the Crisis Mental Helath Field for almost 15 yrs. The last 4yrs at a Major Trauma Center in the CSRA. Even though I was told to go to tech school for bookkeeping because of my sz's. I say do what you want, as long as it is no one else gets hurt.

Last edited:
My MD never gave a list. Got the usual don't drive speach. Its hard to say what is safe and what isn't. I bike, rollerblade, ice skate, do archery and am generally busy. What I think sucks the most is that the worst injury I suffered was playing on a swing set with my daughter. As was said before its not the quantity but the quality of life that counts. If I spend my entire life paying attention to what I can't do, then I've wasted the time I could be using to enjoy what I can do!

Don't. Live your life like it's just normal (if you want to call it that) everybody has setbacks. My ankles are weak so I don't roller blade. They always have been. I don't drive, but I get to walk. It keeps me in shape. I have a bike. I love swimming. Even though I'm not suppose to do that. What we have sucks . But life doesn't have to. I think you probably do more than people without a dissability. Keep it up. But keep the worry down.

I earned my lifegaurd shorts, and I am former tri-athlete, So I actually sat in the docs office and cried when I was asked not to swim anymore. I don't cycle competitively anymore really I have still won a few races in the past few years. a bit back I had a seizure coming around a turn and ran in a city trash can face first doing about 25+ and end up with more than 40 stitches in my face, another had a seizure and hit someone else's bike and pushed my bottom teeth through my top lip, got up and called a ride home ruined my bike. I have fallen off my bike from seizures more than a few times. more than a few injuries. currently missing a pair of glasses because of it.
gave up judo. My car is in storage, but it will probably be so long till it is out. (84 corvette, was not going up for sale)

I still do a fair amount of stuff I enjoy. What is life without risk. Some of my friends are used to calling ambulances for me.

Well I drove one night that I knew I shouldnt( I was exhausted and stressed out and had had a simple partial recently), but it was an emergency, my dog was hurt, that night I stayed at friends house, and had little clusters of jerks keep me up all night, 5 days later the doctor told me no driving for a month, but didn't report me to the DMV, I've cheated a few times since but only because the med increase is working, but I only went on very quick trips, and I don't have many options for getting to the store or sending stuff to my lawyer.

Risks.... I would never!!!:paperbag: However Social Security suggested that I could go back to work as a 'Press operator', ironer, or canner...did I mention I have complex partial seizures....oh yeah, good call! My doctor almost fell off his spinny stool!

Wow, other than driving, which I could do after 6 months, I've never been given a list. What should I be watching out for?

I ride horses.
My doc knows and understands that it's a quality of life thing (love my doc!)

I do occasionally drive when i'm not supposed to.
My seizures are for the most part controlled (except for the simple partials).
My state allows me to drive since my tonic-clonics are controlled.

I also swim alone, which i've been advised isn't the best. I should follow better, i however love swimming and live alone.

For the most part i do try to follow the few rules i've been given. I know they're for my health and safety.

My doctor said I shouldn't drive, but did not say to give it up completely, and I've never been given a list of things to not do. I have to drive, otherwise I can't go to school.

i am waiting on my dr's to care enough to say what i should and shouldn't do. Oh, i forgot, they dont think anything is going on. its like im waiting on death row or somethin,,,,,,,,,,got my chin up!

My neuro told me possibly the lidoderm patch I used cause a wave of seizures. Since I didn't believe that I used the patches several more times for pain. I would put them on at night and wake up with seizures every time. Burned a blister in in mouth and used benzocaine, set off another batch of seizures. It finally dawned on me that lioderm and benzocaine are from the same family of drugs.

On Nov 5 I have surgery under general anaesthetic but part of the meds thy use are either lidocaine or marcaine. I'm pretty nervous waking up to status seizures. I put in a call to the neuro yesterday. Hope to hear from someone on Monday.

My doctor "advised " me that a ketogenic diet was pointless if the meds were already working.
I did it anyways and am now taking half the meds I'm "supposed to".
I wanted her input and help transitioning to ketosis but she was closed to the idea so I just did it myself.

After my coma I became so much like that. the state is helping me bring in and somebody to help clean and cook. I make sure somebody is home or I talk to my mom while I'm in the bath.

I'm not really sure any of the options are applicable to my situation: I'll take a closer look. I was having seizures during the period I was driving, however my seizures were not severe enough to warrant the suspension of my driving privileges at the time. It wasn't until I had a tonic-clonic seizure that I was told by a neurologist that I wasn't allowed to drive and then I stopped driving. After 6 months time elapsed, I resumed driving again following a period of no tonic-clonics, however I was still having myoclonic jerks and I brought this to the attention of my neurologist. Upon this realization, she permanently revoked my driving privileges and it has remained so since. At this point, my drivers license is suspended so I cannot legally drive so there are no chances to take. I don't even think I could buy a car if I want to, unless I bought from a private seller who was willing to "look the other way", but it still wouldn't be legal for me to drive.

My doctor never even brought up swimming or taking a bath, it wasn't until a coworker brought it up that it even crossed my mind.

Back
Top Bottom