RNS information

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

suebear

Veteran
Reaction score
What is RNS Surgery?
RNS stands for Responsive Neurostimulation (RNS) stimulator or system. This system is a smart device that can be removable, and it is something that can be controlled by a trained neurologist. The device is implanted into the brain by a well-trained neurosurgeon who is aware of how the RNS works for the brain. The RNS device does not need a part of the brain removed before it is implanted. (information taken from Epilepsy.com) website and verbal discussion with neurologist.

How is the RNS is used?
The RNS works like a pacemaker and will monitor a patient’s brainwaves then when activity takes place the RNS will in turn respond to prevent that seizure from taking place. The RNS is placed in the bone covering the brain then tiny wires aka leads are then placed; none of this is it will all be under the skin. The RNS will provide small pulses of stimulation to the brain when something is detected. The reason for this stimulation is to stop seizure activity before the seizure begins or to stop further activity of a seizure spreading in the brain itself. As noted, this stimulator does not cause pain and it cannot be felt once it is turned on. The device can be removed should a patient wish to have this done.

This is a surgical issue that must be seriously discussed with your epileptologist as well as the neurosurgeon that will be performing the surgery one you have chosen to go through with it. It is highly suggested to make a list of questions prior to visiting both doctors and carry them with you as these are important items to be aware of for your own peace of mind and the benefit of your health.

Note: this was an issue brought to my attention months ago and I turned it down because I have other stimulators that work for me but wanted to bring this information to the forum to help others that may be looking into this option. Hope the above helps.

suebear

Thanks this has been suggested to me at my last appointment but I got no information.

suebear

Thanks this has been suggested to me at my last appointment but I got no information.

Happy to share the information. I wanted to provide a brief summary and where to obtain it for further info. Hope this helps and I do wish you well in whatever you decide. :tup:

-Suebear

suebear

I made my decision but this did help, so thank you.

Back
Top Bottom