S.O.S. ( a CRY for HELP!)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MaeDae

New
Reaction score
I have two horrible weeks back to back. I've been wearing a holter monitor for the last two weeks. Ive only pushed the darn thing twice for the out of control palpatations/dizzyness (dr thinks is electrical). I've got 2 weeks to go before sending it in. I have to down load it when it hits 4 events. the darn thing goes off by itself (yippee) atleast now I know Im not crazy. But none of the above is why Im in this room today.

1st: I've been on the emotional rollercoaster. I get so depressed and two seconds later Im happier than a hamster on a running wheel. I dont know why and Im sick of it. I cry for hours and thoughts of all bad things take over my mind, again, a few minutes later its as if it never happened.

2nd: I've gained 8 more lbs, thats 30 lbs all together in 4 months. they took my oxygen back (still have cpap though) and I've had headaches for 2 days now (don't give a damn and don't want to get it back, can't afford it anyway). I need a good diet. I need to lose atleast 10 - 15 lbs in two weeks.

I'll take any and all advice. I see the neuro dr tuesday and will discuss the flipping rollercoaster, maybe its the meds? who knows.

But, is there a safe diet aid (i.e. "Sensa") i can take to lose a few pounds?
Anyone taking diet aids?

I've been eating fruits, veggies and cutting out the junk foods ( I cheat a little, especially when depressed) for the most part.

HELP ME, HELP ME, HELP ME, HELP ME PLEASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSE!

In with the good air. Out with the bad. Repeat 10 times slowly.

Are you getting good and regular sleep? That can have a big effect on your emotional rollercoaster.

What meds are you taking? Keppra? If so, maybe some B6 supplementation might help.

Weight gain can be related to meds or diet/exercise.

All I got for now except a general "keep your chin up". Wishing you a better week ahead.

First of all, I'm sorry for what you are going through!! The emotional roller coaster is so hard to deal with. The fact that you are wearing the holter monitor tells me that exercise is out of the question as far as the weight loss.

I have a teaching credential in physical education and I'm also a Certified Personal Trainer....even though they are both on a shelf at the moment. :(

Nutritionally speaking, I'd say you are doing what you should be doing. Eat a balanced diet and make sure that you are getting your calories from various sources of raw foods versus processed foods. Limit your snack items and sugar, increase your activities with your Dr approval, and remember that rest is as much if not more important than activity is. Stress can slow down your metabolism so if you have been under stress (which it sounds like you have been through some stuff over the last few weeks) it can slow your body's ability to burn calories efficiently. Reducing stress (I know...easier said than done!) helps a person lose weight by reducing the amount of "fight or flight" responses in the body.

I wish you all of the luck in the world and I hope that the Holter monitor results come back clean. I hope you are cleared for exercise, because that would really help with weight loss, even walking would be wonderful for both physical and emotional health (gosh, I should take my own advice!! haha)
Good luck my friend, Brandi

Thanks Bernard and Brandi - thank you both so very much for the support and encouragement.

Brandi, the dr did encourage me to exercise. I get dizzy alot and am afraid to walk alone. I have no one that will walk with me. I do have a treadmill that needs minor repair and I cant get hubby to look at it. I think I will do slim fast for 7 days. I take depakote (divalproex) 1000 mg daily and metoprolol for palpatations. I looked up the monitor and found out he's looking for arrythmia's based on the setting (so glad Im not as dumb as I look) and it goes off 2 to 3 times a day. dont know if its brachi or tachy cardia, its feels like fast beats to me, but read it could be slow beats as well.

so no diet aids?

I wouldn't do diet aids, especially with your ticker. Plus, diet aids are horrible for you! They really are.... You know what's really good? A super duper heavy duty multi-vitamin/mineral/herbal supplement. I swear by them!! And I'm really not a fruitcake!! Well, sometimes I am ;) But, when your body gets what it needs it is able to function in a way as it was intended. Think of your car when it was new. It ran perfect, never missed a beat. So smooth that you could barely hear it when it idled. Imagine if you pulled a plug and forced it to run with one less cylinder? That's sort of how our bodies feel when they don't get the nutrition and food sources it needs.

Last edited:
"diet aids"

NO< NO< NO< NO< NO...............NO>NO.NO.........NO!

Mary, my humble opinion, the meds you are on are taking you down....review these as top priority…

Mary, take step back and evaluate..Bernard and Brandi, U r both so right!!!

huge warm hugs Mary. And steady on……we here for ya..

I hope you get through this really soon. I'm in a similar position, meds adjusted and I feel huge waves of anxiety. Overwhelming for sure.

The meds can be a factor, seems like different ones can always present some pros and cons. Regardless I just hope your alright and wishing you the best.

Hi Mary --

I hope you are feeling better today. Do your best to get healthy sleep -- if you're not sleeping well, it can mess with everything else, causing anxiety and weight gain as well.

As for dieting, it's a good idea to check with your doctor first. Quick-fix diets don't tend to be good for the body, and they don't usually produce lasting results. If you starve yourself, your metabolism can slow down in response, defeating the purpose. Eating healthy well-balanced meals is the thing to focus on for now, don't worry about whether or not you're losing weight.

Back
Top Bottom