Scared and Confused!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Ayms184

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone -

My name is Amy and I am 25 years old. A couple of years ago, I had a seizure while driving - I was conscious through it all and knew what was going on. I hadn't slept the night before and was going over to a friend's house, and the sunlight filtering through the trees probably caused it. Anyway, I didn't think much about it since then, because nobody got hurt, I didn't wreck, and honestly, I wasn't even sure I had a seizure at the time. I assumed I did, but... Well, a week and a half ago, I had a grand mal seizure. I didn't believe it when I "woke up" that I had had a seizure... But my friends witnessed it, and convinced me that flopping on the ground like a fish out of water was definitely a seizure. I'm scared, because I haven't felt "right" since. My memory is terrible and when I say terrible, here's what I mean: I asked my friend for my car keys to get something out of my car, which she promptly gave to me. I set them down on the dresser and proceeded to go to the bathroom. I saw her in the hallway (because she had just left my room) and I asked her if she knew where my keys were and if I could have them... Yeah, I really did that. Well, moving on... I have trouble with words and getting my thoughts out when I talk. It's like I can literally see the words in my head, but I can't say them. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens a good bit. My decision-making skills have gone out the window. For instance, when asked if I wanted soy milk or regular milk in my Chai tea at Starbucks, I stood there like an idiot for a while, trying to make a decision. Another issue: my roommate just moved this guy into the house we share together, and he drives me absolutely insane!!! However, the day after my seizure, I completely changed personality and even started to like him. Thankfully, I can clearly see through his crap again, and am now back to normal (personality-wise) ... but that "normalcy" didn't happen til two days ago. Anyway, this crap is annoying and when are these after-effects going to go away? Also, forgot about this, I have periods where I feel completely detached from my body, almost like an out-of-body experience. I'm freaking out! Any suggestions or comments are much appreciated!
Thanks,
Amy

Welcome Amy! I'm new too. Do you keep a journal of your epasodes? If not it might be a good way to try and keep track of things. Are you on any meds and have you spoken to a pharmacists about if they are ok to take together? Some meds can cause issues, not sure grand mal seizure is meds possible though, but always worth double checking or so my mom would say :) Do you have an appointment to see your primary yet? Write down questions for them. Its helpful especially if no one can go with you.

I hope this helps some! I look forward to hearing from you soon! Abi

Hey Ayms

Sorry you are feeling rough. Hope you feel better soon. I don't think not being able to decide what milk you want in a coffee or suddenly liking someone you previously didn't, only to decide you don't again, are likely to be symptoms of epilepsy. Likewise lots of people forget something they just did - example my girlfried constantly leaving the tv remote all over the house and us spending hours looking for it only moments after she last picked it up: current places we have found it - in the oven, on the floor next to the toilet, in bed, on the balcony, in the car. She does not have epilepsy, she is just a bit forgetful like that! It's normal, ish!

Re your seizure though, how did you feel as soon as you woke up? Did you have a big headache, very confused, very tired? There are things that can mimic a seizure to the inexperienced eye so don't take your friends diagnosis for it until you have seen a doc. Have you seen a doc yet? I have so far only had one seizure but the docs were very careful to ask a lot of questions of my mum who witnessed it before deciding I had a proper seizure. As soon as I woke up, I had a huge headache and was very disorientated. I had no idea where I was for quite a few minutes and it was at least half an hour before I could start to understand what had happened. I had also bitten the side of my tongue. When I got home an hour or so later, I was so tired I went to bed and slept for hours.
If you felt none of these things, it's possible you did not have a proper seizure.

Hi Ayms, welcome to CWE!

My advice is "when in doubt, get it checked out." Your symptoms should be considered by a neurologist. Given that you had a seizure or seizure-like symptoms in the past, it could be that you are experiencing neurological issues now, but there may be other health factors to consider as well. See your GP and/or a neurologist for the next steps.

I would definitely start things rolling by going to see your doctor/gp. Only then will you start to make sense of what you experienced. Like has been said, I understand that lots of things can cause the symptoms you have experienced so try not to presume anything until you've got some proper advice, I know that's easier said than done though.

The sooner you find out what has caused it the sooner any treatment can start, if necessary, and the sooner you'll feel better so don't delay. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom