Scheduled surgery

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

flinnigan

New
Reaction score
Well I'm going for it. I've scheduled my surgery for June 12. I was shocked I could get in so quick, but not needing a phase 2 study (inter cranial electrodes) helped move it along. I was also a little surprised to find that the lesion is actually in the hippocampus so it's gotta go. I'm very lucky to know where and why I have Epilepsy and have very good percentages for success.

A big THANK YOU to those who have helped put me at ease. :clap:

Congrats on your appointment

Here's wishing you the best.

Keep us updated on how it goes & how you've been effected afterwards.

Flinnigan,

Is your surgery on the left or right side? If the hippocampus has got to go, that could really impair your memory, so I hope they told you all about it.

Good luck!

I wish you all the best, and may your doctors be miracle workers.

Oooo,

I wish you the very best of luck, Flinnigan, and I will definitely keep you in my thoughts.......

It's on the right. I thought it was just a lesion on a vein in the temporal lobe and was surprised to find it was in the hippocampus. I thought it would be a lesionectomy only. I scored a perfect 15/15 on the left side and 14/15 on the right during the WADA. My Dr. has explained the short term memory issues as well as post op depression and says I'll probably experience short temperdness. I said so whats new. I'm mostly concerned about short term memory and creating new memories but I'm not able to do that right now anyway. I now it also plays a big role in spatial awareness and emotions, which are both a mess right now also. He thinks I may even see an increase in my verbal memory.

I saw my fathers mind deteriorate slowly from seizures and would rather just get on with it. If you know of other issues I need to ask him about let me know.

Thanks for everything.

Paula

Hey Paula (flinnigan)!
I will be praying for you. I hope you the best. There are a few on here that has the surgery so any questions just ask. I am sure you know that by now. As of May 22nd (yesterday), it was 1 year of No seizures for me. Stay positive and keep your chin up like alot of people told me to do on this board. Keep us posted.

Much thoughts and prayers will be with
you during these times! And may it all
go speedy and well!

:tup:

Hey Paula

I'll be thinking of you on June 12th too! My Hippocampus (right side) was removed last June, and all I was really worried about was the mess they made of my hair!! It does grow back so quickly though! That's me just having a laugh, seriously, don't worry, you are right about that part of the brain dealing with spatial awareness, short term memory, emotion, speech. You probably know that the hippocampus is part of the temporal lobe which is part of the limbic system. This part of our brain is so important for making new memories, do you struggle with your short term memory the way I do, I so bet you do?, it was fascinating for me when I learnt that the hippocampus is the first part of the brain to be affected by Alzheimers disease, hence memory being the first thing to suffer when someone is struck with that horrible disease, also the hippocampus is often involved in severe mental illness such as schizophrenia and severe depression (something I have never experienced).

I had Hippocampal Sclerosis, so even though I had a Temporal Lesionectomy in Sept 2000 and was seizure free for five wonderful years, my "wobblers" started again in Aug 2005. I must say on a more positive note, since my last surgery in June 2008, there is an incredible improvement in my seizures, and their frequency, I always said that the worst part of having epilepsy, was my terrifying auras, they were so very frightening, and I would be reduced to a quivering wreck if I had one of them unexpectedly somewhere, worse than any nightmare!! But now, since I started taking Trilpetal, I don't have them anymore, thank God, I just wish I could have been prescribed Trileptal back in 1986 when it all kicked off!

I'll be thinking of you, and keep in touch with everyone on CWE, they are a wonderful bunch of people, and a great support and comfort to me during my op last year. We all have that special one thing in common, something that is almost impossible to explain to someone that has never had any sort of epilepsy, and I think it is so important that we understand each other!

All The Best!!!

Love

Elaine x

Congratulations on the quick surgery. You will be in our thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery!:rock:

Thank you so much for all your kind words. I feel very good going in. I know it doesn't seem I've been around much lately. I've checked in everyday just haven't felt up to posting. I've been really tired the last few weeks.

I'm going in tomorrow and will be offline for a while. I'll check in ASAP.

Thanks again to all I don't know how I would have made it through this without CWE.

PS I cut off all my hair and went bleach blond last week - hated it. Going back to red and can't wait to be long again. Blonds do not have more fun. We also had a Hippocampus Shmippocampus Who needs it...party last weekend. My little one decorated the house with pictures of hippos and brains. It was very cute.

I am thinking of you today. And I pray that you will have a successful operation. I just visited my neurologist last Tuesday. And I am still shocked at the recommendation of surgery. I was started on Lacosamide (brand name is Vimpat) on top of Lamotigrine (Lamictal) and Leviteracetam (Keppra). I am very very scared. This is a very difficult time for me.

Sending you alot of prayers. I really hope you the best. Keep us posted.

Best of Luck to you

Here's wishing you the best!!!

Please let us know how things go.

Eric

I am thinking

of you today, and am hoping that things went well for you...

I'm home. It all went very well, The Dr. was surprised as to how much damage around the lesion there was, I had an MRI the day before at their facility with 3D imaging and smaller sections. He had to remove a little more temporal lobe tissue that previously thought. Recovery was rough I was quite ill in the recovery room. Surgery went 4 1/2 hours and recover about 3. I did quite well in ICU my older sister spent the whole night with me. She kept my face and lips cool and moist, I think having her there was a big part of my speedy exit from ICU. If you ever are in this situation try to have a caring gentle friend or family member stay with you the whole time your in ICU.

I was expecting a lot more pain after reading other posts. I've had a few headaches, but a couple of vicadine(sp?) and ice do the trick. They had me on morphine for a while, big mistake. The itching was awful and it caused the worst part of my post op issues - nausea vomiting and constipation. The worst part of my pain is in the neck and jaw. I have TMJ and moving that muscle around during surgery didn't help that any.

I'm feeling much better today, they've sent in a home nurse and physical therapist 100% covered. They're going to start neck therapy tomorrow - myofascial massage and ultra sound - looking forward to that.

I'm really surprised how well my short term memory is. I pretty much remember everything since before and after OR. I think all in all I'm going to be a great patient.

Here's my basic timeline. Fri surgery, Sat ICU, Sun Regular room and Mon discharge. Pretty quick huh.It will probably be a few days before I post again as I'm still quite tired. Bless you all and thanks for everything.

Wooohooo!!!!

YEAH FOR PAULA!!!!:clap::clap::woot::woot:

I am sooooooo glad to hear that things went so very well! It's a great thing that your sister was there, too. What a wonderful help she was.

WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom