Seizure free for over 3.5 years and now two in a week!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

79wot

New
Reaction score
I had been seizure free for over 3.5 years using lamictal until this past week when I had two. I thought the first was from sleep deprivation but I can't figure out why the second one happened. The ER doc called my doc and they said I could go up 100 mgs a day on my dosage, now I am dizzy. Has anyone else had a similar experience with lamictal? Or has anyone gone a long period of time and started to have seizures again - without explanation?

Lamictal kept me awake from the very beginning. Yes and I got dizzy. But I took lamictal for myoclonic seizures and they caused more. I had to stop taking it. Lamictal can be a very good drug for some and sometimes do the very opposite of what it is suppose to do.Good Luck. Teresa

I found that whenever I've made a transition on Lamictal -- either up or down -- that there's a short period of a few weeks where I experience dizziness. Eventually that side effect goes away.

In some ways, your two seizures might be considered part of the same event. When you have one seizure, it may make you more vulnerable to having the next one, especially if there's a trigger of some sort. You mentioned sleep deprivation as a possible factor-- what caused you to be short on sleep? Stress? Overwork? Illness? Partying? There may be some other aspect of your life that's had the cumulative effect of lowering your seizure threshold.

I think it was holiday stress that caused the extra sleep deprivation. I was wondering if the first could have led to the second. Now I am worried that I am going to have another one. I am meeting with the Dr. next week to discuss it.

Back
Top Bottom