Seizure???

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

mlbandura

New
Reaction score
My four year old son was diagnosed with complex partial seizures a few months ago. He has only had 4 that we know of. All of them occurred at night while he was sleeping. He has been on Trileptal (Oxcarbazepine) since may and has been doing well with it. This morning he woke up at about 7:30am to take his medicine and instead of going into his normal routine of eating, playing and annoying he sister he went and laid on the couch and fell asleep, which is not like him. He did not wake up until after 12. He went to bed at his normal time of 7:30. I know that with his past episodes he was always very tired after them. So, I guess I am not sure if he could of had a seizure last night in sleep without us knowing.. which is very possible. His Neurologist wants me to call him when and if he does have one. I don't know if I am being a paranoid mom and looking too much into it. Should I call his Neurologist and tell them what happened since I am not sure he even had one?

I'd say go ahead and call the neurologist. It can't hurt, and it may well help. You've been observing your son, you know when something's not right -- your gut instinct is most likely the correct one.

MLBandura,

It's a good idea to call your neurologist. He'll make the guess on whether it's a seizure or not. If it's a good office, they'll be glad you called, no matter what the situation.

It's a hard call on complex partials. Most people that are having them don't even know they are having one. It's sometimes even harder still for third party observers to tell. These days I know that if I have a migraine, I've had a seizure, even if I didn't know I had a seizure.

My dog is a "seizure notification dog." He howls at me when I have a seizure with altered conciousness, so he usually tells me after I've come out of it. I decreased my meds yesterday, and woke up to my dog howing at me mid-morning. I was napping, so I have no idea if I had a seizure or not. I guess I've gotta trust the dog. Is a service animal possible for your son? Plus, I have a killer headache, which is a good indicator for me.

I'm on trileptal and it makes me really sleepy. I can take a nap at the drop of a hat, and must take two naps a day to get by. But if your son's unscheduled naps are mostly postictal, it's a good guess that he may have had a seizure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom