Seizures and Solar Geomagnetic Activity

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

elizzza811

Stalwart
Reaction score
I've been gone for a lonng while, but I wanted to post the updated links (as they've revamped their websites, and the old links are no longer valid). Also, two daily Google searches I recommend you do. I have been following this data for at least 15 years. There IS a connection, and I've learned sooo much more since I first posted about this years ago.

Solar Cycle 25 has begun and is ramping up. Changes in the polarity of sunspots - negative/positive to positive/negative (or vice versa) - indicate a new solar cycle is in the offing. Solar cycles look like sine waves, each one lasting approximately 11 years, and sun's polarity gradually flips. You can have an occasional reversed-polarity sunspot in the years preceding the beginning of a new solar cycle.

1) Space Weather:
spaceweather.com

IMPORTANT: ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS check a few days before and after a seizure. They can get lazy on weekends and holidays especially and won't always update daily. NOTE: You can actually go back and compare your seizure diary to what was happening on that day.

WHAT TO LOOK FOR:

- SUNSPOTS - Beta gamma, beta gamma delta, beta delta are the most magnetically complex, but ANY sunspot can produce a strong and/or impulsive solar flare with or without a CME, even alpha and beta class sunspots. Solar maximum? Solar minimum? Doesn't matter.

- SOLAR FLARE CLASSIFICATIONS - M and X class flares are STRONGEST. They will knock you off your feet. Still, lesser ones such as B class and C class can do the same.

HIGH SPEED SOLAR WIND STREAMS: A hole opens up in the sun, blowing wind towards earth. If you scroll way down to the picture of the sun (left side), these openings are black. Whether the wind hits earth depends on the angle of earth in relation to the hole. These can be northern polarity or southern polarity solar wind streams. Polar-connected and equatorial coronal holes can sometimes be intense.

- CME (coronal mass ejection) - This is mass ejected from the sun. It can sail past earth, graze earth, or hit earth head on, compressing earth's magnetic field as it approaches and producing a shock wave once it hits. (My granddaughter had a status epilepticus seizure when there were multiple CMEs. I too have epilepsy.)

- FILAMENTS - These are unstable (prone to snapping and hurling CMEs), and you may even experience symptoms daysss before they are sometimes even mentioned. BUT, if you scroll way down to the picture of the sun (left side), you can often see them. They look like really, really thin black lines. Some are long and snake across the sun. Some are smaller.

PROMINENCES - Sometimes you can even see these. They look like flames on the edge of the sun, very unstable. Scroll down to the picture of the sun (left side). These prominences too can erupt and hurl CMEs.

SSBC - Solar sector boundary crossings involve the sun's equator, its tilt in relation to the earth's tilt. Determines which of the poles, north or south becomes geoaffective. You may have symptoms days in advance.

CIR - Co-rotating interactive regions - A high speed solar wind and a low speed solar wind are interacting and rotating against each other. You might have symptoms days in advance.

2) Google SWPC FORECAST DISCUSSION daily. It updates every 12 hours and gives you a 3-day forecast (which can change). Everything is in UTC time, so you'll need to convert to your time zone. You can find all sorts of data here. Sunspot classifications, CMEs and their estimated times of arrivals, upcoming SSBCs, CIRs, and solar wind streams, whether the stream is coming from a northern or southern polarity coronal hole. You can even find the time any eruption occurred, for example. Pay attention to the phi angle and if there are any prolonged southward deviations.

3) Google the SATELLITE ENVIRONMENT PLOT. This is a graph. Look for yellow and red Kp bars. Check the electron flux. The higher the blue line, the higher the flux. Sometimes it zig-zags. Proton flux can also climb, especially during solar maximum.

Hope this helps someone.

Hi elizzza811,

I agree with you that solar storms do cause seizures for some people along with cell phones. The solar storms
cause an electromagnetic field which in turn can trigger seizures for some people and the cell phone can sometimes
cause seizure. I found out I was cell phone sensitive. When I was still working many people were using their phones
right before work then again on their lunch break and in turn it triggered seizures for me. I had an e.e.g. done and
I didn't know it but my Dr. and a couple of his co workers were using their cell phones on purpose and each time they
did it caused a big spike in the e.e.g. reading so I got away from cell phones and I use my ham radio instead and that
doesn't bother me at all. I can do everything on the radio that you can do with the cell phone the only difference is it
doesn't cost a cent. Wishing you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

I am sensitive to cell phones too, but also the towers that support them. I can have my seat back in the car and my eyes closed, and I can feel when we are entering a major city.

I noticed that if I put my cell phone near my computer, static sound is produced. I hate this phone. The only reason I even got it 3 years ago was because my husband and I were separating, and I needed a GPS.

Dr. Robert O. Becker has some excellent books out there on the subject of cell phone towers and their effects on humans. We've wrongly assumed that low exposures equals 'safe'. In other words, if the microwaves aren't heating tissue, safe. He's now deceased, but he believed this to be the biggest experiment ever done on humans, and I agree. His books took me on one path which took me on another and another until I started paying attention to what was going on with the sun.

Back
Top Bottom