Seizures due to Ammonia

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hello ~ I am new here and wanted to start that I have high levels of ammonia in my blood. After I had an ultrasound and it showed I have non-alcoholic fatty liver disease I immediate requested an ammonia blood level. I learned all about liver damage and ammonia when I worked for my vet. My primary looked at me like I had two heads. After the blood test was confirmed, I had it retested every 3 months last over the past year and it remained stable but high. I am also taking Depakote (125mg). Not one doctor addressed the dangers of high ammonia levels with me, I had to do the research with the veterinarian knowledge I had.

I went to a new neurologist last week to address this and going off of Depakote. She only talked about eventually going off of Depakote but not immediately. Then she recommended blood tests every 6 weeks to determine if the ammonia levels had increased and if it has, she would require I immediately go off of Depakote. I addressed two concerns 1) I had a year's worth of ammonia tests to determine if it was stable and it has been so why the need for further testing and 2) I don't want to suddenly be taken off of any drug, especially Depakote. I sent her an email about all this and will see what response I get back from her. I'm thinking of going out of my HMO for a second opinion. Thank you.......... Debbie

I posted a response yesterday, but I see it has disappeared, strange.

I am going to take Lactalose to start reducing the ammonia in my blood.

Thank you.

Debbie

Last edited:
I often use cleaning things that have ammonia in it.Spirit of salts.Inhaling that bc I surppose vapours float about in the house.I was using urea on nail fungal infection it cost pennies comparison to the nail fungal stuff which cost fortune and same thing so I guess my body must absorb some
first time I seen this thread and given me food for thought...
Ammonia must float around everywhere with cleaning materials I think human race should start taking account what we doing we killing each other

Seagull ~ The ammonia was found in my blood during a blood test. Due to the fact I have non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, it's thought the high ammonia levels in me is due to this liver disease. I do not use ammonia anywhere in my home as a household cleaner.

Debbie

Update ~ My primary agreed to treat my ammonia levels :) She put in a presc. for Lactulose, hope I can mail-order this. I will let her follow my ammonia levels since my former neurologist ignored this test result.

Debbie

Back
Top Bottom