Sex

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

MMRocks

New
Reaction score
Anyone else have a history of multiple partners, because you felt unable to turn down sex? Or you didn't know it was heading in that direction until it was too late?

As a teen, I didn't really understand sex. I had a reputation in high school as being 'easy' and consequently guys hit on me all the time. I didn't 'get it' and would find myself in a sexual situation and see no way out of it... I had sex many times I did not want to, with people I didn't want to, even in places I didn't want to. I was never able to say no when being pressured.

Now I'm just learning about seizures, and I wonder if there is any sort of connection. Thanks to anyone brave enough to answer, I know sex is a sensitive subject.

I don't know your personal seizure history. But I have read that there is not only a connection between sexual abuse and non-epileptic seizures, but I also read there is a higher likelihood of developing TLE if a child was sexually abused, something about how the brain forms in reaction to the abuse. I don't remember where I read that--it was years ago, and it was a study--it stuck out for me because my history includes both (I do have verified epilepsy and not psychogenic seizures). Please understand I am not suggesting anything about your past, but there could be a connection between what is essentially unwanted sex and your seizures. Maybe if you haven't had counselling to talk about your issues around sex, it might not hurt? Anything emotionally taxing and difficult puts stress on you, and can decrease your seizure threshold. I think, even if there is no connection whatsoever between seizures and your issue with sexual pressure, you DESERVE to be able to say no. Everyone does. You are special, and deserve the right to respect your own body and set limits. Finding out why you feel this way and learning how to say no is a caring thing you can do for yourself. It may help your seizures or it may not, but it will help you. I understand where you are coming from--I just turned 50 and had a long road to resolving my own issues early in life and am very glad I did.

Below is a link to an article that talks about possible correlations between childhood abuse and TLE or other brain abnormalities.
http://www.dana.org/Cerebrum/2000/Wounds_That_Time_Won’t_Heal__The_Neurobiology_of_Child_Abuse/

You may also find this CWE thread of interest:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com...epilepsy-dissociative-identity-disorder-8461/

As Lindsay says, even if abuse is not part of your particular history, or if your seizures are unrelated to your past history of sexual disempowerment, you may still find that counseling can play a significant role in your overall health and wellbeing.

lindsayschu2 I do have a history of very young sexual abuse. I have been in therapy past 4 years- wish I'd started sooner! So I considered years ago that my inability to say no as a teen was probably from the abuse. I can, and do, say no now.

Now here I am with temporal lobe seizures, have been reading how it affects people's sex drives, that some people seizure after orgasm, and other connections between seizures and sex, and it got me to thinking. Was it my temporal lobe the whole time?

Lindsay I really appreciate how gently you approached and discussed, thank you for your tact. Nakamova thanks for the links, I will research this. I love research :)

Still if anyone else feels there is a Direct link, feel free to chime in.

Hey! Geschwind's syndrome!!

"Geschwind's includes...altered sexuality (usually hyposexuality)...in epilepsy patients."

Huzzah! I knew it!

and oh wow, I have all the other markers of Geschwind, including the compulsion to write! I love the internet <3

Back
Top Bottom