shots?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

zuegenc

New
Reaction score
my son is almost 4 and will be due to get all his 4 year old shots..im not sure how i feel about that.. i dont think his shots caused his epilepsy but we finally have things under control (he has doose and we are doing the diet) and i dont want anything to mess us up/ how do folks feel about holding off or getting the shots? does your nuero typically agree and what does your school system feel about it? thanks

Rachel had already had all her shots and was in school when her e reared it's ugly head, but speaking from experience, our state will NOT let your children attend school without the immunizations. Yours may be different.

We have had others since onset but I too question that. I'll be interested to hear everyone's input...

personally, I think that there's enough anecdotal information to encourage parents to have immunizations like MMR broken up into seperate shots, and have those shots spaced out.

I think that the immunizations are necessary, and that kids run a very great risk of getting sick...especially during school years, when they aren't immunized. Every year, we get kids who come down with Measles or Mumps who werent' immunized.

i agree about not wanting him to get sick just wondering if anyone who gained good control got shots and then lost it or anyone who had shots with no issues?

Katie got her 4 year old shots right after her 1st seizure last September. We didn't know that she had epilepsy at the time (thought it was "fainting" or low blood sugar) so we didn't question any of the shots. She didn't have any more seizures for over 2-3 weeks so I definitely don't think it accelerated her epilepsy activity. I don't know that any of the shots 4yo shots listed seizures as one of the possible unusual reactions. Some of the shots DO list seizures as a rare possibility and the kids that I've heard about who got epilepsy from shots got them during the infant battery.

I would probably try giving your ped's office a call ahead of time & let them know your concerns. The pediatrician may offer to spread them out in order to minimize the possibility of a seizure spike due to weakened immune system issues or address any other questions you might have.

Good luck! Let us know how things turn out.

that is definatly more my concern that the seizures will just get aggravated by the shots or they will somehow throw off the fine blance that we have going on right now . dylan is doing well but when his body gets stressed he will havea drop. the 2 drops ive seen since we have been controlled was 1x when he was sick and 1x when he was sleep deprived and hot .i feel like its all just a fine balance.. i meet with the neuro end of may then i will speak with my peds about it .. i know our school has the medical waiver they will accept if the doc signs off on it but i like the idea of just spreading them out over a period of time..dont they get like 5 or 6 at there 4 year check up?

My son was 9 months old when diagnosed and he is now 17 months so he has had 3 shots all in one hit since starting and he went fine. He has actually always been better behaved after immunisations believe it or not!! I would be keeping an eye on his temp and anything out of the ordinary as you probably would anyway but if it will help put you at ease I'm sure your dr will be more than happy to talk to you. Our dr is fantastic that way.

I got my shots when I was about 4. I don't remember it effecting my seizure control. My parents never mentioned it effecting my seizure control.

i was just 4 years old when i got my shots, i think its the right age

Kater received all of her shots on time, after she was diagnosed. Neither her ped or neuro said there was any reason NOT to do them on time, or all at once. Our school district says that you can skip the shots, if you have a valid reason and/or a Dr. note if there is a medical reason for not getting them.

Back
Top Bottom