Should I go off Keppra and take Lamictal?????

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I decided to stay on the Keppra. The itching has gone down a little since I got all dust mite covers on my bed and pillows and also I soak pure aloe Vera jelly all over my skin at night. In addition I use a natural shampoo with Jojoba oil chamoille , Biotin and olive oil in in and I am taking 1000 vitamin c and 60 mg of Zinc along with the Vitamin Bs and Cal/ Mag supplement. The lacimtal just did not work for me it made me more itchy and gave me a bad case of insomnia I just could not deal with it. Also I went off the AD Zoloft and now I am on Pristiq which has fewer side effects and does not make me as tired during the day as the Zoloft did. I will see the Dr at the end of the month.

And yes I get a little cramping in my feet and lower legs at night too. I tend to talk to the Neuro about this next time I see him..................................:e:

Good luck Eve, I hope the med combinations work out for you, and that the side effects go away as your body adapts. Keep notes on how the meds affect you and check in with the neurologist about anything -- like the foot cramping -- that persists or gets worse.

Hi there...

I take keppra and lamictim ( lamictol ) and personally i think they balance each other out.... :rock:

Talk to your neurologist and see what they say on the topic,but on the other hand it also depends what you strain of epilepsy you've got and how bad it is... Best of luck with your meds

As far as I know Keppra is a secondary medication, it can't be used alone. I am on both lamicital and keppra xr. For me the lamictal had no side effects but didn't work on it's own. I don't care for the side effects from the keppra, and please if you do take it don't accept the generic form.

Keppra has been prescribed as monotherapy for at least a decade -- it doesn't need to be used with another AED. Many AEDs are classified as being for "adjunct" use when they are first introduced. This is because of the difficulties of testing new drugs in humans. (It's too risky to ask someone to go off an existing drug, and try out a new drug solo, so the new drug is tested in combination).

I took Keppra for a Gran Mal seizure. I had been on Dilantin for some time. With the Keppra I started having auras daily so we discontinued and went back to to Dilantin.

I take both, and haven't had bad side-effects with Keppra (2000mg per day), but it didn't work for me by itself so my neuro added Lamictal. Seven years seizure free, I was so excited until I had a breakthrough Grand Mal. I was devastated, and completely freaked out. He upped my Lamictal to 500mg, kept my Keppra at 2000mg and added Klonopin .25 to the mix. I have been fine for the past year, but still have occasional days where I feel intoxicated. I have learned to live with my new "normal."

Currently I am taking Keppra but have been taking Lamictal ( not generic). Slowly increasing 25mg / week. Then reducing the Keppra. Hopefully the Kepprage will go away along with the aura's.

Back
Top Bottom