Side effects of Etho in 8yo daughter

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to this forum. SO glad I found you all!

My daughter was dx with absence seizures last year. She was put on Etho 500mg 2x/day. She takes the capsules.

Within a couple weeks of starting, my confident, self-assured little girl has become a frustrated (and frustrating!) child who cries and sobs through her homework and continually tells us she can't do the work. Her mood swings are extreme and she seems to get no joy from anything. I feel like I have a different child.

We've talked to her doctor and he says she will adjust. It's been almost an entire year! I'm at my wits end.

Have any of you seen this in your own children? Did it take this long to 'adjust'? Is Keppra different? Are there supplements or diets that help?

I would really appreciate any words of wisdom or advice! I do think it's safe to say we're looking at a new doctor at the very least.

Thanks!!

You really should look at the medication and its side effects. Have a strong talk with your doctor about this and do not accept him telling you she will adjust, that is just not right.

Hi Reddhairedroo, welcome to CWE!

I agree with Fedup. Talk to her doctor about making a switch, and not necessarily to Keppra. Both Zarontin (ethosuximide), as well as Keppra can affect personality and mood. According to this site http://kidshealth.org/parent/medications/ethosuximide.html you should call the doctor if
your child shows signs of low mood (depression), thoughts of killing him/herself, nervousness, emotional ups and downs, thinking that is not normal, anxiety, or lack of interest in life.
If the doctor won't help your daughter find a better medication, then you need to find a better doctor. You might want to consider trying the Modified Atkins Diet -- it can help control or reduce seizures, particularly absence seizures. More info here: http://epilepsymoms.com/blog/special-diets-nutrition/atkins-seizures-guide-parents-parents.html

Best,
Nakamova

Thanks Fedup and Nakamova!

I have mentioned those side effects to the doctor several times now. I'm thinking one more time and then a search for a new doctor.

I will definitely check out the Modified Atkins Diet. I was on Atkins years ago and it definitely helped me out in more ways than one!

:) Redd

Back
Top Bottom