Simple Partial Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Thanks for the advice, Shelia:)

Wow, you've really been though a lot. It's amazing how positive you are despite all you've dealt with. Sorry you've been having problems recently, but it's great that you are so proactive and that you have a doctor who respects that.

I've had good control of the simple partial motors for almost a year - knock on wood. But I do have strange auras sometimes and spasms when I'm trying to sleep that may or may not be focal seizures. (and it's not restless leg syndrome because I've had that too and the spasms are a different animal all together) I usually try not to worry about it too much because I know there are many with far worse problems, but there are times when it's bothersome.

:hello:Hey Tom,

Still hope to hear from you. Hope all went well.

Hi all, I am doing well. I am sorry that I haven't posted in a bit just tied up with work and two kids sick. I did have the 24 hour test but didn't get any results cause my doctor is on vacation so going to have to wait. As for me and any other episodes, very very minor if any. Every now and than I get a small chest pain unexplainable on the right side but over all pretty good. Thank you all for the reply.

@Travel Bug: Well you have explained it perfectly. I have only had one episode that had what you explained but enough to never forget what I went through. Like most seizures that others are not aware what is happening.

I have a follow up appointment with my Neurologist next month to see how things are going I suppose. I hope to be completely episode free by than.... : )

Thanks again for your replies,
Tom

As an Update:
Last weekend I did have a small episode that I had to miss two days of work cause I was completely tired with chest pains that lasted 30 seconds but reoccurring for a few hours. Oh the stomach thing I can relate to as well but I think I can point towards a bad case of gas. If anything good has come out of this is that I can now tolerate cheese and milk products, where as before I was not able to even get a taste of dairy without issues.

Tom:pop:

Hi Tom,

Good to hear from you again. Hope your littles ones are feeling better:)

Sorry you haven't heard anything yet. It sucks to have a major test and then have to wait so long for the results. I sometimes wonder if doctors have ever had to be patients themselves. Anyway, let us know what you find out.

Take care:)

Hi,
I was finally given some results to that test. They said nothing to worry about except for a few readings of 41 for my heart rate. So the plan is to have an cardiologist in January!
So I came home from work this morning exhausted and just feeling weird. I went to bed from 8:30 am to 12:00pm had no energy to even play with the computer. I watched TV with my boy and girl this morning but fell asleep again around 2pm waking up 12:30am (with teddy bears, and barbie dolls with their blankets.). So having slept so long wasn't able to sleep any more so here I am. This seems to be a repetitive thing after working

Tom

Last edited:
Tom,

Are they worried at all about the 40 beats per minute? That's the heart rate of a world class athlete that's trained their body into it. Might not be enough for us mere mortals.

Glad, though, you got the results and it's not a scary problem.

Why would they want me to see a cardiologist for that sort of thing? I am like in the dark and not sure what to make of it. Well, I told myself that just an checkup for them to say that everything is ok and oh that I need to change my diet. : ) Unless there is more to the report that I am not seeing.

Hi Tom, Glad the EEG came out okay. That's a pretty low heart rate though. That would explain feeling tired all the time. I have the opposite - my resting pulse is usually around 110-120. I'm on a med to reduce it. A couple of times in the last 3 months it has come down to 92. I don't think the med is working too well.:(

Anyway, I'm glad the test results are okay & hope the cardiologist visit goes well. Take care.

Shelia

wow. 120 bpm is fast. I guess not for a hummingbird though. Busy hummingbirds have been found with heart rates of 1200. whoa.

If they did not see any seizure activity in the EEG, and you had a low heart rate (47 BPM) the doctor wants you to see a cardiologist to see if your symptoms are heart related, if not then it is most likely brain related (seizure).

A lowered heart rate can cause seizure activity, and a seizure can cause lowered heart rate, kind of a chicken and egg thing.
If your heart checks out ok, then they will start looking at the brain, particularly the left temporal lobe.

You can search and read about seizures and bradycardia, temporal lobe epilepsy and bradycardia.

I would post links but this site does not allow it.

Wow.. so sorry for ALL you have been going through!!

But I just wanted to tell you to look up DYSAUTONOMIA. Its problems with the authonomic system. Cannot tell you the number of ER's I was brought to due to this. Its VERY treatable.

Not saying you have this..but you may. Initially I had what seemed to be tonic/clonic with aura. Used a holter 2x with good heart. But my symptoms present like a heart attack or stroke..or both. NONE of that was going on..but I can see where it looks like it.

Look up POTS as well. You can do a poor man's TTT =tilt table test which is ONE of the tests of this diagnosis. The worse thing is feeling so weak or fainting.
Again this is so treatable.

Just know that besides the TTT, there are only a few neurologists who know how to completely diagnose this condition as it needs an autonomic lab.

You can PM if you like. Its made a difference to FINALLY get control over this for ME.

Best to you and your wonderful family!

Warmly, Jan

Hi ajax. Yeah 120 is fast. I kept having spells where I would almost faint, so I had to wear a heart monitor for a month. It showed sinus tachycardia & arrhythmias. Still don't know the cause & still isn't responding to Rx from PCP. I'll see a cardiologist soon to see if he knows what is going on. Don't know if it's connected, but my oxygen saturation is usually around 90-92%. Getting that check next month too.

I know this isn't relevant to Tom's discussion, but just thought I'd reply to your post. I wish I had the energy of a hummingbird!:)

Shelia

:hello:Hey Tom

It must be nerve-wracking to be sent to the cardiologist, but surely if your doctors were really concerned they would have got you in earlier. Hopefully you are right that it's just a sort of check-up. But if there is something going on, they will catch it early and be able to do something that will help your heart, and, with any luck, your seizures.

Actually, I've had doctors act a bit concerned over things having to do with my heart. They've mentioned sinus arrhythmias or some such; I'm never in top form when they mention this so I'm not sure what it is, but they don't do anything about it so I just assume they aren't too concerned. But it pops up in my mind now and then when I'm in a mood to worry:paperbag: Sometimes I wish I had some real answers.

Try not to let the upcoming test worry you or interfere with the holidays.( I know that's easier said than done:eek:)

In the mean time, you have your precious kids to look out for you.
I watched TV with my boy and girl this morning but fell asleep again around 2pm waking up 12:30am (with teddy bears, and barbie dolls with their blankets.)
That's so sweet! It really put a smile on my face when I read it:)

Take care!

Back
Top Bottom