Skin irritation during 72-hour-VEEG

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Elljen

Reaction score
My 14-year-old son is having a 72-hour ambulatory video EEG. Only 40.5 hours more to go! :roll:

He's handling it as well as anyone can, although he's obviously bored and uncomfortable. The biggest problem he had up until this evening was itching under the wrap and attachments. Now, however, he's feeling some nasty irritation under the front part at the top of his forehead, in one spot in particular. First, I feel bad that he's feeling that irritation. It's starting to hurt a bit. Second, I hope he's not going to develop any really nasty irritation, like an open wound or sore.

I don't think there's anything we can do about it. But has anyone else ever experienced this? We're not even halfway through the process, and it's a long time for this to be going on.

I have a number for an on-call tech. Should I call, or is it pointless because he just has to suck it up.

I feel so bad for him. He's a great kid. Good heart. Works hard in school. Loving. Seriously, just a great kid, and this breaks my heart.

FYI, the reason he's having this is because his last short EEG was normal. He has Juvenile Absence Epilepsy and was seizure-free for 16 months despite being on a sub-therapeutic dose (he was on a low dose to start, and since then he grew 4 inches and gained more than 20 lbs, so his serum levels are very low). We weaned him off the meds, and he's now been off them for almost two weeks. It could be that he just did well on a sub-therapeutic dose, but the doctor figured if we were going to try weaning him off, now's the time vs two years from now when driving becomes an issue. Kids usually outgrow CAE, but most don't outgrow JAE. But JAE is less common, so there's not as much data. We're hopeful, of course, but we're also mentally prepared if it's not to be.

Thanks all!

I have a number for an on-call tech. Should I call, or is it pointless because he just has to suck it up.
I hope by now that the irritation has lessened, but if it hasn't, or it's gotten worse, it can't hurt to call. There may be some tiny adjustment that can be done. Maybe even holding a cold pack over the area for a brief amount of time?

My guess is that it's a minor reaction from the glue, and after the EEG is over he'll need to put some lotion on it until it heals.

I hope that the EEG is negative!

Thank you so much. He's still asleep (maybe it was a rough night). I'll see how he is when he wakes up!

Back
Top Bottom