Skype - I just discovered this and its amazing!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rae1889

Veteran
Reaction score
Alright guys, I just found something so awesome!

DO you ever wish you could just sit down for coffee and chit chat face to face with your favourite CWE person, who sadly lives super far away for this to actually be possible? Well I totally found a way to do this. I noticed when up dating my profile that there was a spot to add your skype name. I had no idea what this was so i googled it. And it turns out that its a video chat so you can see someone when your calling them. and its totally free!

So basically what you do is go to Skype.com and download the free application *for Mac or PC* and then just create a user name and password. Then you just log in. you can go to your contacts and add someone else's skype name so you can contact them. For instance: my skype name is Rae1889. You can search for my full name *Rae Metcalfe* and then find the one that matches my username and then just send an invite. Its just like using msn but now you can see each other face to face!!!!

Its absolutely amazing!

*I would not recommend having your status on "SkypeMe!" because then random people can chat with you and most of those people are pretty gross. So just keep it on online or busy.*

Have fun and if anyone wants to test it just add me and we can check it out together.

Love and Hugs
Rae

My friend from the UK and I have been using Skype for quite a while. It is cool, isnt it. :D

Also- some cell phones can do skype also, my iphone can. He has a special wifi phone so we can call eachother for free, and thats really cool too. No vid, but I like the portability.

My friends with relatives overseas have been using Skype, and saving big-time on long-distance charges. It's similar to iChat (if you're mac-based).

that means i would have to brush my hair

.... and I would have to hide my gray hair.:roflmao:

Sounds cool Rae. I will have to look into a webcam. Thought about getting one for my wife to talk to our daughter that lives a couple of hours away.

Jordan introduced me to skype, he talked to us while he was in mexico on a missions trip. VERY cool. I am going to lead a study abroad trip to england this summer for a college and will be using this to speak with friends and family. God knows I don't have the money to pay for international fees on phone calls. Besides it's much cooler to talk face to face.

Now that

trip sounds like a LOT of fun, Jen! Where are you planning on going on England? I would think that you'd be able to use this Skype thing anywhere, as long as you're able to get internet access, right?

Hey- I used Skype for a long time because its accessble for the blind. My screen reader worked wonderfully with it. Now that my hearing is worse- I cannot use it for a long time without my FM/hearing aid device.
Rachel and I used to chit-chat over Skype for hours and hours- sometimes 8 hours or more in a day! But now that she lives with us, we chit-chat in person now.
It worked well with sign language until it got crowded with over a million people on it..
I also met someone from Austrailia and Denmark that were decent friends but we don't use Skype anymore though.

Skype is pretty neat- Rachel even recorded a seizure of mine and still has it- its totally weird seeing a seizure!
But if I needed, I could show it to my neuro.
One time- my dog came up to me while I had a seizure (complex partial) while sitting on my bed, he jumped up and knocked me over where I hit my head and my dorm room door- I didn't know it but because Rachel was on chat with me- she saw the whole thing. I found myself on the floor hurting and not knowing why. My little boy Umbro (my guide dog) was just worried and didn't understand why I wasn't responding to him like I usually do.

Have fun with Skype
Crystal

trip sounds like a LOT of fun, Jen! Where are you planning on going on England? I would think that you'd be able to use this Skype thing anywhere, as long as you're able to get internet access, right?
I am going to essex. Im going to kinda be the dorm mother (considering its only been 2 years out of college it won't be that weird). UoE is where the group will be.
And yes! You can use it anywhere as long as there is a connection. :D

Hmmmm,

a dorm Mother, huh? Sounds like fun, to me, at least! Have lots of fun! My sister lives over that way, but I think she's moving back to the States about that time. But there are quite a number of CWE members over in England...

Back
Top Bottom