sleep question

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Ksanchez

New
Reaction score
Twice now I've had full days where I just sleep pretty much all day. I don't have any Auras or off-balance which are signs of oncoming seizures. I'm wondering if this is something any of you have happen. I am alone so I don't have anybody that can tell me if I had a sleep seizure. It's just the entire day with zero energy and I can't seem to stay awake for anything. I'm concerned but I don't know if I should be.

Hi Ksanchez
I notice there are days where I am really good but days where I’m really tired and just want to have a nap.
For me the meds can make me tired but it also depends on what I’m doing, sometimes if I’m really busy at work I’m actually too busy to want to nap but get a decent sleep at night because I’m tired from work, where if I’m at home and not doing much I probably get more tired from boredom.

Also if I had a seizure that can wear me out. Like you I live alone so the only way I think I have had a seizure in my sleep is if I woke with a bad headache that won’t go away and more tired then normal. Also there has been the odd time when I’ve gotten up and things have been moved.

It may not hurt to let your neuro know next time you see them.

Hi Ksanchez,

I had the same problem as you did a few yrs. ago I would get plenty of sleep but in the morning I was exhausted and I felt like that all day long. I saw my Epileptologist and she did a sleep study on me along with an e.e.g. and e.k.g. and come to find out I was having seizures in my sleep about 2 hrs. before I would wake up in the morning but what was weird is I didn't have a headache or any signs that I had the seizure in my sleep. You may want to let your Dr. know about this like CQ mentioned then maybe have a sleep study done to be sure you don't have a sleep disorder or maybe you are having seizures in your sleep. I sure hope I'm wrong. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Hi Ksanchez
I notice there are days where I am really good but days where I’m really tired and just want to have a nap.
For me the meds can make me tired but it also depends on what I’m doing, sometimes if I’m really busy at work I’m actually too busy to want to nap but get a decent sleep at night because I’m tired from work, where if I’m at home and not doing much I probably get more tired from boredom.

Also if I had a seizure that can wear me out. Like you I live alone so the only way I think I have had a seizure in my sleep is if I woke with a bad headache that won’t go away and more tired then normal. Also there has been the odd time when I’ve gotten up and things have been moved.

This is the same with me. I normally fall asleep after the seizure and depending on the how bad the seizure was may make me want to sleep longer, two or even thee days at times.

I've recently realized I've been having seizures in my sleep, I'm not sure how long it's been happening though. This might also add to being tired.

I have epilepsy and fibromyalgia. The meds are controlling the seizures well,Fibro fogs and fatigue are hard to cope with.Some days I just have to stay home and either stay in bed or sit in the lounge.Very hard to explain the exhaustion and brain confusion when I look perfectly healthy.
Topamax and Dilantin work best for me,taking Mobic as well .

Ksanchez

Having a seizure in your sleep or a nocturnal seizure, like all other seizures is not the same for everybody. Yes some things might be, I lived alone for many years and there is no need to be afraid and trust me you will always know when you have had a seizure. Like you and a lot of others I will sleep all day, I need to, it drains every bit of energy out of me, I get a raging headache and I am so hot (no temperature) and these are only a few. So do not worry about sleeping all day as I said we need it, no there are no warnings usually and this is not unusual. Everybody has there own tell tail signs and then some of us do not have any. So do not worry. I am sure there is plenty more you could write if you wanted so relax and have a cup of tea. You got good help so far so do not worry a whole lot. Everybody here will help you as best we can and the people here are the best.

Twice now I've had full days where I just sleep pretty much all day. I don't have any Auras or off-balance which are signs of oncoming seizures. I'm wondering if this is something any of you have happen. I am alone so I don't have anybody that can tell me if I had a sleep seizure. It's just the entire day with zero energy and I can't seem to stay awake for anything. I'm concerned but I don't know if I should be.

The same things has been occuring to me and the doctor says i'm not getting good sleep I think i am but i'm not. I seem to think it might be the medication .

Can i ask what medication you are on?

I get simple & complex partial seizures. I haven't had anything like that happen to me--where I want to sleep all day. I can feel the simple partials "come on", and they last a few minutes. The complex partials, though, occur w/o aura, and unless another person witnesses it, I hurt myself, or do something to my surroundings I don't even know that I had one. I do know that it takes a while for me to fully "come out of it". I take Topamax& Zonisamide--400mg/day each.

Talk to your neuro about it. Maybe he can schedule a sleep study for you. During a sleep study, they monitor you sleeping for a couple of nights or so with EEG. BTW, excessive daytime sleepiness (hypersomnia) could also be a symptom of sleep apnea, so it's possible your day time sleeping isn't seizure related.

this happens to me too. I can't even sit up sometimes once I actually rest. it'll be like sleeping 4am-noon, then 1pm-10pm and I can't wake up properly. and I have weird dreams so it feels like I didn't rest. i'm alone too. but sometimes i'll wake up and all of my bedding is on the floor, as though i've been thrashing.

I almost always automatically wake up just before my alarm if sleep at the same time. I sleep so deeply that I always get up within 6 to 6.5 hours of going to sleep, no matter when I go to sleep.

I almost always automatically wake up just before my alarm if sleep at the same time. I sleep so deeply that I always get up within 6 to 6.5 hours of going to sleep, no matter when I go to sleep.
I always wake up before my alarm. like 10 minutes before. it's so odd. and annoying when I work 80 hour weeks haha. I could use that 10 minutes.

I’m similar but usually only on the days I have to work. I’ll wake up about 30 mins before the alarm gos and lay there thinking about getting up 😂. I get the bus to work and the bus stop is across the road so I don’t have to rush to get ready for work.

On my days off I still might get up early in the morning to go to the bathroom then go back to bed for a sleep in.

Back
Top Bottom