[News] SmartWatch

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I read in the Daily Mail (UK) today that a Smart Watch is currently being developed! This could potentially be a major breakthrough in alerting not only yourself of an impending seizure, but also as it is hoped it will be wireless, it also broadcasts a signal to a specific computer, alarm device or mobile phone to alert a doctor or family member. Apparently, it is in the trial phases at the moment but could be widely available within 5 years.

As I live alone and have a young child, this would be a fantastic thing for me! I really hope this will come out sooner! :woot:

Unfortunately, I cannot link directly to the Daily Mail article, but I have found some information about the Smart Watch here:

SmartWatch

Technology News - Further Reading

Found a supporting article :)

Last edited:
Hey Tempus.

It doesn't warn the wearer of a potential seizure. What it does is monitor the movements and when it detects Tonic-Clonic consistent movements, it sends a text message or phone call to the people on your contact list.

It will also come with a beeping alarm to warn others in the house that you are having a seizure. Sadly there is no technology to predict a seizure unless its an EEG

Thanks Rae... I will type out word for word what this article says - you can see how ambigious reporting is and makes you think that it could be something else *sigh*

Daily Mail - Good Health - Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Watch to warn of epilepsy fits

Epilepsy sufferers could benefit from a wrist watch that warns them and others of an impending seizure.

The wireless device can spot unique physical movements associated with the very early stages of a fit.

Epilepsy, a condition that affects the brain and causes repeated seizures or fits, affects around 500,000 people in Britain.

When seizure-like movement is picked up, the watch (SmartWatch) beeps rhythmically; it also broadcasts to a specific computer, alarm device or mobile phone to alert the patient's doctor or family.

If it is a false alarm, the wearer can press a cancel button to prevent this.

A study at Stanford University in the U.S. found the watch was able to detect seven out of the eight seizures suffered by 40 patients being monitored. Failure to detect the eighth case was due to problems changing the battery, say the scientists.

It is hoped the device will be available within the next five years.

Yeah it says physical movements. But for the most part by the time that the watch pics up the movement the person has already had the aura, or is in the middle of a CP.

Usually meaning they are already mid seizure, and if the person doesn't have auras, the seizure has started and there still isn't much warning.

I know when I have an aura, I don't start any phyiscal movements that would be on my wrist area. During a CP I pick at my shirt etc, but if the watch picks that up, it doesn't matter because I'm already in the seizure and unaware that its beeping.

I'm on the list for at home trial volunteers for a different alert bracelet. We'll see how that one does when I get it.

Back
Top Bottom