Sorry but has anyone experienced constipation while on keppra?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Almost a year I've been on keppra and have noticed I'm always bloated and constipated no matter how I change my diet.
Anyone know what to do and why this is happening?

Have had this issue my whole life, even before taking Keppra. I try to eat an Activia one morning for breakfast and an apple the next morning. This has helped me a lot. Also, if you feel you have to go, go immediately. I've noticed that if I put it off then it becomes harder to go. Remember that you always have to eat fruit on an empty stomach in order for it to help your digestive system.
Hope this helps.
Good Luck.
M

For sure. I used to tend to be more the other way because of anxiety giving me a dodgy stomach, but Keppra has definitely given me constipation. I started eating fruit as my breakfast, which I never did before because my stomach got too irritated if I just had that, but now its enough to get things moving without going too far.

I had a hell of a time with it when I was in hospital because they kick started it with an IV dose of Keppra (didn't even know that was a thing) then followed up with the tablets. As well as that they were giving me codiene for some horrific headaches I was getting so needless to say I was VERY blocked up.

I would get constipated like you described and attributed it to the calcium I was taking so whenever this happened I would stop taking the calcium and start taking a stool softener which eventually got everything to work it's way out.

Then my doc had me go on a mediterranean diet for awhile including salads with olive olive oil and just a splash of balsamic vinegar. Using the olive oil has kept everything "moving along smoothly". I found a brand I really like and have a salad with olive oil dressing a few times a week.

Hope you find a way to feel better soon.

My husband, who does not have epilepsy, has problems with being constipated from medicine he is on. He also had colon cancer and had to have part of his colon removed so that didn't help very much with his situation.

His dr suggested taking Metamucil and it's helped him great. He takes some every day and I don't think he's had any problems since he's started doing it. He said he knows when he's forgotten to take some for a day or two because it just won't come out (his words not mine).

Back
Top Bottom