Soup Stock Recipes

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I have made my own stock for years. I buy organic free-range turkeys and chickens from a farmer in my area. At Thanksgiving, I keep the turkey carcass, roast it for a bit to add color and flavor, throw in some veggies and herbs I have grown and make terrific stock. I freeze it into two cup portions and use it for soups, etc. I do the same with chickens. I always buy grass-fed beef that is hormone and antibiotic free and make it into beef broth. I think the key to getting good flavor and color is roasting the bones before boiling them in a pot of water.

I have been reading that you can actually reverse dental degeneration with bone broth.

easy veggie broth

I save all my raw vegetable peelings, trimmingss, etc and put them in a bag in my freezer. When I have several quarts, which doesn't take too long, I put them in a pot of water and simmer slowly for a couple of hours. It's always a little different, depending on the ingredients, but always very tasty and can be used for a lot of recipes.

http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/broth.html

I did not want to copy the recipes because the information given on why we need healthy stock in our daily diet is so important.

Robin,
The only thing I want to add here is that the article suggests freezing in plastic containers. Everything I've read says not to do that. I buy the 16oz glass canning jars and freeze in those. I froze stock in plastic at first and it had a funny scum on it although I had skimmed and clarified with egg shells.

Has any of you ever frozen soup stock in ice cube trays first and then placed the cubes into freezer bags until used? (I'm presuming that you're not going to keep the forzen stock for more than 6 mos.)

Yes, I've done that and it works well. I've also done it in muffin tins for a bigger "ice cube."

Okay here is a question a seizure trigger for daughter is gelatin and any broths homemade or purchased made from boiled bones/carcass of chicken or beef bones ect. she does fine with a homemade veggie broth as long as not too many carrots or celery it seems, also grass fed lean beef without bones as broth base seems ok.

I had assumed anyone following glutamate/aspartate restricted diet would not make or consume broths made from bones? Am I missing something here?

Duh, sorry! I thought I was in a GARD diet thread. (Newbie here, blush)

nevermind........

I would like to discuss your comments as I did not know that info. I have to run out now, but I would like to pick this idea up later.

Back
Top Bottom