Sports and seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

vtsammy

New
Reaction score
I've actually been having seizures when playing sports or exercising. I'm on a flag football team and one second I was on the field and the next thing I knew I was on the sideline. I asked a teammate what I was doing here and made them put me back on the field. Also, when I play basketball I've had some episodes as well. I am the the player that is always running around hustling. Because I am very competitive, I find myself having more episodes. The other day I even had a seizure while on the treadmill. I was running and the next thing I knew I was on the couch. I think this may be from over exerting myself. Has anybody else run into problems like this?

Reports of seizures following overexertions are pretty common I think. I've also seen reports related to yoga where special breathing exercises are performed and related to just being overheated (like on a hot day).

Moderate exercise is good. Overdoing it though could cause an oxygen debt (and when the brain doesn't get enough oxygen, it can be trouble).

Sam:

Yes, that's how I got "kicked off" the team
when I was younger; those 'Drop Attacks'
aka Atonics (only I didn't know what it was
then until that track meet one day and the
competition Assistant Coach who is also a
Medical Doctor recognized what happened
and what it was) - so I had to back off from
certain sports and into others.

I'm a sports-aholic addict; if there was a SA
(Sports-aholic Anonymous), I would refuse to
attend!

:lol:

I flatly refuse to give up! After the recent car
crash (a pursuit where my son and I were victims
of) which totaled and destroyed our only vehicle
we had no choice but to get bicycles for trans-
portation. Now, when the Doctors learned what
KIND of a bicycle I got, a lot of them got darned
nervous! Not all of them, but a lot of them!

:eek:

I have a Trek 27 speed Racing Bike, the same
one that Lance Armstrong of Tour de France rides.
And oh, I don't ride a bike --- I FLY!

:pfft:

I am fully aware of the risk factors involved,
but I'll take my chances.

You crash and burn on that bike and we'll have to change your name to SCAB! EEK!:eek:

You crash and burn on that bike and we'll have to change your name to SCAB! EEK!:eek:

:D

One of the members of the EF Forum had named
my bike .... "HOT PURSUIT"
and it is quite fitting considering how it was
obtained in the first place!

:soap:

Hi Vtsammy,
I am like you I only have my sps sz when playing racketball,they only started last March and don't happen every time I play.I'm still in the process of diagnosis.
Janet

Hey brain. I got a mtn bike. I finally realized that I cannot do anything too extreme, or I shouldn't anyways. Dont you get scared riding your bike?

Hi vtsammy,

I've only had one tonic-clonic seizure when I was swimming in school sports as a teenager. However, as the doctors make you breath quickly, like you would be during heavy exercise or hyperventilating in high stress, during an EEG there must be a common association.

cheers,
Yve

Back
Top Bottom