Starting MAD in June

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

joan

Stalwart
Reaction score
Anyone else doing MAD? Are you finding success? Ive heard so many good things and I am hopeful. We are going to try it this summer on my daughter and hope we are settled before school starts in Sept.

Were trying to figure it all out..

joan*

Anyone else doing MAD? Are you finding success? Ive heard so many good things and I am hopeful. We are going to try it this summer on my daughter and hope we are settled before school starts in Sept.

Were trying to figure it all out..

joan*

Hi Joan,

I hope this works! In case you don't have this is the link to the yahoo! group who use the MAD. Good luck with it.
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/atkins4seizures/

You are the best!! Thank you* I have it. Ive been flirting around between a few diets and right now this just "feels" the way to start. Its doable for a teen and if it works? its less restrictive than the keto. So with Summer break coming. I think its now or never. We wont start till the end of June but we are prepping now. I will post our experience.

I hope you well*

joan*

You are the best!! Thank you* I have it. Ive been flirting around between a few diets and right now this just "feels" the way to start. Its doable for a teen and if it works? its less restrictive than the keto. So with Summer break coming. I think its now or never. We wont start till the end of June but we are prepping now. I will post our experience.

I hope you well*

joan*

My downfall with the gluten free diet was not having enough snacks made up to hold me between meals.With all the prep you are doing on the MAD beforehand, the odds of it helping are much better. Do post how it goes, maybe even start a blog on it, like Sarah did with her son. That might help a lot of other folks too.
:mrt::woot:

Good idea. Ill start one when we actually start the diet. My daughter off this week so we are going to try : ) and find 10 receipes she likes before we start so we know we have at least that to hold us over. I dont totally understand this yet and I will need Dr assistance... so we shall see. We are hopeful.

Be well and enjoy the day
joan*

we are doing MAd with the best success...my son is 3 and was Dx with doose syndrome in june of last year he was having about 25 drops seizures daily despite being on 4 drugs...we started the diet nov.7th and he has been seizure free since dec. 31st..it has been our miracle and i hope its yours too..how old is your daughter and what type of Sz does she have??let me know if i can be of any help...

CONGRATS!!! Whether this works for us or not, I am soooo HAPPY for those it works for. My both kids have juvenile myoclonic E aka Janz syndrome. Its not the worst form of E but it impacts our life daily. My daughter (16) and meds just don't mix. I cant stand by and watch her decline and not try everything. I am very hopeful this will work. We are spending the next few weeks trying to find foods that will work so we have things to start with and her last day of school : ) We start MAD the next morning. I figure that gives me 10 weeks to get her settled before school starts. Ive ordered a few books and I'm so trying my best. We've been spending time talking about the difference between eating to live, and living to eat. How this will impact her teen life. The pros and cons. My daughter knows this wont be easy BUT with the HOPE of getting off meds? Heck wed eat tail of bat, eye of newt.. you get the picture lol

Thanks for your offer of help. I may certainly call on it in time. I'm praying my Dr does this with us. If not, we will transfer to NYU or Baltimore. We are excited, nervous, scared and hopeful.

Be well
joan*

Back
Top Bottom